Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowland Night Race

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Bowland Night Race

Thanks to all those who organised last nights event and to everyone who waited in a howling gale whilst I got changed. I got lost in the lanes driving back from a meeting in Rhyll and turned up bang on the start time.

Exhilarating conditions is I think the best description to cover the mud, frozen snow, wind, rain and eyeclosing sleet/hail on the various parts of the course. Don't know how the organiser managed to persuade the marshalls at 4 checkpoints to be there, but well done to them, they had a colder harder job than the 15 (I think) runners.

Thanks to those who let me follow them (even if we did go too high on the top), I lost it a bit on the final descent due to fading torchlight and not knowing the path, but enjoyed it immensely.

I think the small but select Keighley contingent that made it over the border represented the club well (Brett bottled it), congrats to Stevie B for being first in and to Derby Tup - apologies if anyone else was there who I have missed out.

I have been to this area twice now, the foggy Fell relay's in 2007 and last night, I am assured it is quite a beautiful area, it would be nice to actually see it one day.

Re: Bowland Night Race

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    I have been to this area twice now, the foggy Fell relay's in 2007 and last night, I am assured it is quite a beautiful area, it would be nice to actually see it one day.
    Here Here, great race and MANY MANY thanks to the marshalls ~ hope you have all thawed out.

Antisocial ~ get yourself entered for the Fiendsdale race on 21 March ~ that will show you what the countryside is like.
    See the light in the night

Super Moderator

Another big thank you to everyone involved last night including Bob for getting us there! What a belting do
    Will try to get to Fiendsdale race

Antisocial & Mapper - you are both welcome, I was the marshal on Parlick Pike - the 1st (and last) summit. Well done to yourselves in making the effort to get there from the other side of the Ribble - Uzbekistan as some of the more parochial Bowlanders refer to it - on such a night. Mind you, once back down in Chipping it seemed like a very pleasant starlit winters' night.
    As well as the Fiendsdale Race in March, I can recommend Les Orr's "Bleasedale Circle Race" on 28th February from Bleasedale village hall - see the FRA calendar for details - it traverses the same 2 tops but from 'the other side'. If you do come, please car share as parking is limited; especially when there is a wedding on at the church just up the lane as 2 years ago. Car parking is £1 - goes to the village school whose playground we use as supplementary car park. Bring some 'spends', the ladies put on pie and peas afterwards.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 22-01-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Another big thank you to everyone involved last night including Bob for getting us there! What a belting do
    Will try to get to Fiendsdale race
    Well Steve can only count to 2, it's the only positions he ever finishes in , ask him to arrange lifts and he tries to fit a minibus load into a mini

"On the ridge from Parlick, if you look to your left you can see the serried outline of the Lakeland Fells" Or NOT!!

Thanks to the marshalls (hope that they knew where they were meant to be ...)

Yep, thanks to Trundler for organising and all the marshalls last night.

Super run from Mapper.

Good to see all forumites and to meet Antisocial for the 1st time (you missed the best bit - Bowland brewery's Chipping Steamer and proper chips).

Cheers, Ali

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Best bit was getting back into Yorkshire for a pint of Timmy T's Landlord, I can only take so much foreign travel.

It is also worth mentioning Dave Claxton and Millipede also mighty KCAC members also raced last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Yep, thanks to Trundler for organising and all the marshalls last night.

Super run from Mapper.

Good to see all forumites and to meet Antisocial for the 1st time (you missed the best bit - Bowland brewery's Chipping Steamer and proper chips).

Cheers, Ali
    Cheers Ali, 2nd is a 1st for me.

I also enjoyed the Chipping Steamer, but the best bit was to the credit of the (very nice) barmaid who agreed to put on a special home made cheese & onion pie for me and Tomsk
    See the light in the night

Fellhound

Thanks for all the favourable comments everyone. Glad you enjoyed the challenge that the Bowland fells ably laid on for you!

I must publicly thank my ace team of helpers, Pam, Andy, Leigh, Gill, Roy, Ian and Jo).

It was good to see K&C upholding the honour of the white rose (where were the Wharfedalers?) with Steve Brock winning. Clayton's Mapper came in 2nd and Ali and Mike were 3rd and 4th - flying the Bowland flag!

Thanks for a great evening.

Beer, chips and no run!

Oh well, hopefully there will be another