Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sweepers

Re: Sweepers

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Why? Even on pre-entry events numbers aren't collected until the day, and everyone who starts should either finish or retire and make sure they are recorded as such.

Sweepers on fell races are going to have a hard job as courses are often not over fixed routes.
    sadly I have first hand experience of this although it wasn't a race but did indeed get overlooked by the sweepers and NO I WAS NOT SHOPPING

Fair point that though in many races where the routes are so varied it would be a difficult job indeed although I have acted as sweeper a couple of times on 'fixed' routes it was a good day out yes but the main job wasn't to shepherd all the runners but to collect the tape and markers that had been previously laid out

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Why? Even on pre-entry events numbers aren't collected until the day, and everyone who starts should either finish or retire and make sure they are recorded as such.

Sweepers on fell races are going to have a hard job as courses are often not over fixed routes.
    Many pre entry events post out numbers before the day - the idea usually is to save time on the day handing them out, but it can cause problems as often there isn't a list of whos actually there - hence they don't know how many people are running. then you have those organisers who don't tell the finish officials how many started and all sort of other stuff

Had a funny experince with sweepers at one race which Clash City Rocker may remember as I think he was there - although he may not remember me being there.

A couple of years ago, Widdop Fell Race - the first mile or so is flagged and one of the sweepers jobs was to pick up the flags as they went along.

Off the Seniors went with the 2 sweepers jogging at the back with a couple of backpacks on.

5 minutes later off went the juniors. Problem was, no flags left

Lots of 6 - 16 year olds running around the moorland like lost sheep. Unfortunate but it was quite funny now looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    sadly I have first hand experience of this although it wasn't a race but did indeed get overlooked by the sweepers and NO I WAS NOT SHOPPING

Fair point that though in many races where the routes are so varied it would be a difficult job indeed although I have acted as sweeper a couple of times on 'fixed' routes it was a good day out yes but the main job wasn't to shepherd all the runners but to collect the tape and markers that had been previously laid out
    Not the Kettlewell experience Em?
    I'd nearly forgotten about that!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    Not the Kettlewell experience Em?
    I'd nearly forgotten about that!!
    Damn

Ahh the Kettlewell experience........certainly gave a certain two sweepers some exercise......and a short lived fright.....must remember to tell that one at Elterwater. Just can't remember who cunningly evaded us.
    That aside, sweepers are wonderful especially when they collect the flags/markers in on their way through (so long as nobody has evaded the sweepers or there are other races using the same flags).
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Ahh the Kettlewell experience........certainly gave a certain two sweepers some exercise......and a short lived fright.....must remember to tell that one at Elterwater. Just can't remember who cunningly evaded us.
    That aside, sweepers are wonderful especially when they collect the flags/markers in on their way through (so long as nobody has evaded the sweepers or there are other races using the same flags).
    Ahem anyway....think the route choice was called initiative!!

see you saturday Chris