Thread: Ullswater Horseshoe - 20 peaks

Ullswater Horseshoe - 20 peaks

Two of us completed this yesterday. Ullswater is perhaps not an obvious candidate for this sort of round but basically it's a traverse of the peaks on the main watershed to Ullswater.

Starting and finishing at Pooley Bridge we included Arthur's Pike, Loadpot Hill, High Street, Stoney Cove Pike, Red Screes, Dove Crag, Hart Crag, Fairfield, Dollywagon, Nethermost, Helvellyn, Raise, Stybarrow then on to Hart Side, Birkett Fell, Swineside Knott, Common Fell, Gowbarrow, Great Meldrum and not least Little Mell Fell.

I reckon the distance is about 35-40 miles with some 10,000 feet of climbing so it makes a fair day out. It's good going nearly all the way, the roughest parts coming after Birkett Fell. We took a leisurely 11-45 in a cold, strongish wind

Bobert

Re: Ullswater Horseshoe - 20 p

I did this from home last year, basically starting and finishing in Askham. I measured it on the ground as 40 miles with 10,086ft of ascent. I did this solo on one of the hottest days of the year. I didn't include Little Mell fell but did add Heughscar Hill to the tally. The extra run in from Askham did add a bit extra distance when compared to starting in Pooley Bridge, but adding Little Mell will push it up to 40 miles. Details of it are here

A cracking route. Not heard of many other folk doing it until now.
    Last edited by Bobert; 18-04-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Ullswater Horseshoe - 20 p

Yes I thought there must be somebody out there who had done something similar before. Hopefully this thread might generate some more interest. It makes a good day out in its own right as well providing a varied training route to build up for some of the more serious stuff like the BGR or Joss Naylor challenge.