Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: :D Barefoot Running

Banned

Re: :D Barefoot Running

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    I had a go at barefoot running this morning( kept my shorts on). It felt great untill the wet grass made my feet so cold my calves started to cramp
    Is this normal or am I being a wuss?
    The important thing to remember is to take it very easy.
    My first experience with "Barefooting" was a very short jog of no more than 50 metres.
    You have to think of how you are running ie:up right posture, land on the ball of the foot...slowly, slowly.
    The next day you may well feel your calves, its not aching as such more a feeling that they have been working.
    Have a few days off from "barefooting" then try again. Dont expect to be running distances for some time.

Im now at the stage where I will run( similar pace to when i have shoes) approx 2 miles on grass, paths. Its not rocky but there are stones, twigs, sheep s*** & deer poo.
    For my fell runs I will use the X-Talon minus the footbed or if I want a minimalist "Trail" run Im now using the Roclite 285 again minus footbed.
    I also use a minimalist shoe (F-Lite230) for my everyday work shoe so that my feet, calves etc are getting use to working and strengthening.

There's nothing like "barefooting" in the rain on grass

Inov-8 Insider,

You're right. It took me 3 months of training in order to be able to do a 5 km barefoot. And I had already a not too bad running form (thanks to some reading I had done - Gordon Pirie, Danny Dreyer's Chi Running...) The guys that sold me my 1st pair of shoes (that I trained with for my 1st marathon) couldn't believe I had ran more than 1 000 km with it!

I did some fellrunning and was experimenting with minimalist shoes this week! There is nothing as fun as running in mountain!

I tried some huaraches sandals, Vibram FiveFingers KSO and Mizuno Wave Universe 2. I really like the KSOs, I felt safer with it probably because my heel was closer to the ground than with Wave Universe. I am looking forward to get the hand on a pair of Vibram's Trek new model. It will give more grip for rougher condition. And for the huaraches as I had a too thin sole, it wasn't as good. In a less challenging trail like what I had last year, huaraches are hard to beat tough.

So for the conditions I had, KSO get the 1 st rank, Wave Universe the 2nd and huaraches the last (because I had a too thin sole).

If Inov-8 could manage to design a shoe with grip that has a flexible sole, a lower heel than my pair of Wave Universe with a decent weight I'd probably order a pair for experimenting in fellrunning conditions, for treking and backpaking.

Have fun running!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bfluc View Post
    Inov-8 Insider,

If Inov-8 could manage to design a shoe with grip that has a flexible sole, a lower heel than my pair of Wave Universe with a decent weight I'd probably order a pair for experimenting in fellrunning conditions, for treking and backpaking.

Have fun running!
    We are on with this believe me
    But until they are released a couple of pointers.

All our 2 cushion shoes are low to the ground.
    The difference between the forefoot and the back is only 7mm, this is the lowest differential of any shoe brand that I know.
    Our shoe ranges currently consist of 2 cushion ( fell shoes and racing) 3 cushion (Trail running) 4 cushion (Trail & Mnt Boot)
    As you can see we purposely left a 0 & 1 cushion free for future developments.
    Thats what we are on with.

If your looking for a lightweight, low to the ground, low differential shoe with sticky rubber then the X-Talon 212 minus the footbed could be the answer.
    As the name suggests it weighs 212grms for a UK size 8( take foot bed out and its lighter and lower)
    Last edited by Inov-8 Insider; 12-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.

II - How do the 285 fair? To me it looks just like the F-lite 230, which I really like and run with a lot, but with a different sole, is this the case?

One thing that is putting me off get the X-talon is the sole is very similar to my walsh, which I have 4 pairs of! So something with a different grip which would be better suited to a mixture of terrain, including the odd bit of road plus farm tracks would fit in with what I've already got very well.

Plus I could justify it easier to the wife

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    As you can see we purposely left a 0 & 1 cushion free for future developments.
    Thats what we are on with.

If your looking for a lightweight, low to the ground, low differential shoe with sticky rubber then the X-Talon 212 minus the footbed could be the answer.
    As the name suggests it weighs 212grms for a UK size 8( take foot bed out and its lighter and lower)
    Thanks for the info!

I think I'll wait for what you'll be coming with 0 or 1 cushion. If I like it, I might buy a pair X-Talon 212 as well for those days when I'll want a bit more. And anyway it will give more time for experementing with huaraches, VFF and racer flats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    II - How do the 285 fair? To me it looks just like the F-lite 230, which I really like and run with a lot, but with a different sole, is this the case?

One thing that is putting me off get the X-talon is the sole is very similar to my walsh, which I have 4 pairs of! So something with a different grip which would be better suited to a mixture of terrain, including the odd bit of road plus farm tracks would fit in with what I've already got very well.

Plus I could justify it easier to the wife
    Hi sjedwardz
    Yup the 285 is a similar upper to the 230 but does have a rand at the front for a bit of protection, it also has a sticky rubber Roclite outsole which is great on wet rock/grass etc.

The X-Talon sole is sticky rubber.

Bfluc et al,

Keep an eye on Skora (www.skorarunning.com). We're a fresh new minimal footwear startup that will break the rules of what a running shoe should be (err.. should not be).

Glad to have found this interesting thread and forum!

Happy barefoot running,

David Sypniewski
    Founder/CEO, Skora Athletics
    http://www.skorarunning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    Hi sjedwardz
    Yup the 285 is a similar upper to the 230 but does have a rand at the front for a bit of protection, it also has a sticky rubber Roclite outsole which is great on wet rock/grass etc.

The X-Talon sole is sticky rubber.
    Is the rand inside the shoes as well? I had problems with the terroc and flyroc that I think do, kept getting very badly banged toes! In the end had to get rid of them, never had that problem with the F-lite,

Just wish you'd do 285 is something other than red - its just not my colour!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Is the rand inside the shoes as well? I had problems with the terroc and flyroc that I think do, kept getting very badly banged toes! In the end had to get rid of them, never had that problem with the F-lite,

Just wish you'd do 285 is something other than red - its just not my colour!
    No the rand( rubber bumper) is on the outside.
    They do only come in red but after I got back from a jog round Kentmere yesterday mine were definitely a peaty brown colour

Just by the by

ran my first barefoot at the weekend. Mebbe a mile or so on smooth tarmac. Might be too long to start with but it felt fine. Slower than shoes but felt fine.

Noticed that my knees hurt less without shoes than barefoot, very interesting as my knees seem to hurt all the time generally! There was no affect on my calves as I have been lead to expect.

gonna try some wet grass soon. The experiment will continue....