Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bad weather - Call it a day?

Re: Bad weather - Call it a da

Agree with Cougar, always warm enough when running, soon cool down when stopped, so if injured, you need enough kit with you to keep you warm. Experience and common sense should tell you when to call it a day...................and get back t'pub for a pint
    Hills and Guinness!

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Al, looks like you came down the south side of Great How. See http://www.conistonmountainrescue.co.uk/great_how.shtml

Al, like many others, I share your problem of being too hot with thermals jacket etc low down but the solution lies in having just the base layer on low down and then adding layers in order as height and temp dictate. Then you don't have to strip off to get the base layer on when you are up high. If you don't want to pack a bumbag, just tie the jacket around your waist. I do this with winter races too....saves fumbling in a bumbag when its jacket time.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I was advised some years ago that there is no more than a ten minute window after stopping running before hypothermia requiring hospitalisation can set in. This is regardless of conditions, even a cool summer's evening breeze can cause problems. Therefore it's a no-brainer to carry some extra insurance kit, leave route details, carry emergency food etc. - isn't it?
    However, some of the excuses I've heard:
    "I never stop", "I never turn my ankle", "I never get cold", "I never get lost", "The extra weight makes me less competitive".
    Presumably they rely on their fellow runners or if solo, MRT to bail them out. (If they're lucky).
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    Al, looks like you came down the south side of Great How. See http://www.conistonmountainrescue.co.uk/great_how.shtml
    Yeap i'd go with that.
    Looked at it on the map and it seems to add up.

Good point wheeze!

Master and MR

I rarely get cold whilst running even in the worst weather. But over the years my fingers are terrible.
    I think welding hasnt helped. Im sure its damaged the nerves in my hands.

I have been given strange looks many times on the fell for running with just a vest or no top on at all.
    Luvshack is the master at this and I dont think im far behind him.

I always carry gear and have needed to use it. Once fell on Bleaklow and injured my knee. Instantly put the gear on and hobbled back down to the road.
    Ive also seen people in the lakes with hypothermia and witnessed what difficulty can be experienced in warming a cold person back up.

Al - I've done that, in clag, following what I thought was a path/trod/footprints. Expected to descend slightly between Swirl How and Brim Fell (Levers Hause) but convinced mesself that I was OK even though I was starting to go off left down Gt How. It was a frightening descent.

Went back next day and did it OK.

Also walked it a day or so later and realised there was a walkers trod that went to a viewpoint and then a sort-of-descent (see OS 1:25000 and you can see an acknowledgment of a descent there).

BUT it's the kind of experience that gives you time in the hills and helps you understand where you go right/wrong.

So don't berate yourself; just learn from it and move on.

fb
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

Very true FB.

Atleast i know where and when and how i went wrong...so in future i'll have to take the right path instead of the left.