Thread: Wild Camping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wild Camping

It's brilliant. Bivying is even better cos the packs lighter. Running and bivying together is heaven on earth especially if you bed down early and get up really early and run into the dawn

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    It's brilliant. Bivying is even better cos the packs lighter. Running and bivying together is heaven on earth especially if you bed down early and get up really early and run into the dawn
    I like the idea of Bivy bags they must make things a lot easier, but not sure i'd be brave enough for that, the one's with the tripod thing over the head bit don't look too bad though.

I think i'll start looking at getting the basics together over the next couple of months and aim to have a go, July, August time.

macc lad - Am hoping to do a mountain marathon at some point, so the gear will come in useful for that. Might have to wait till next year at the earliest for that though, need improve my strenth & fitness a bit yet

Don't forget - you may end up on private land which may have shooting rights - which means people will be walking around with loaded guns in the dark trying to knobble deer and other animals so be bloody careful where you go and if possible check with a keeper. Two lads nearly got killed on some land round my way when disturbed by German deer stalkers in the early hours of the morning.

"Guns don't kill people
    Bullets do"

Wild camping is great, far better than staying on any site, plus it's free (nb provided you don't get sued!!)
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by downsman View Post
    "Guns don't kill people. Bullets do"
    It is the person who pulls the trigger on the gun who would be responsible if the bullet kills somebody.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    It is the person who pulls the trigger on the gun who would be responsible if the bullet kills somebody.
    Responibility in the eyes of the law - however shooting a gun at or near another individual is hardly responsible in the literal defenition of the rule.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

I've had a few great nights wild camping above Langdale also at Sprinkling tarn although it gets a bit busy there.

Try below Angletarn Pike near Place Fell, you might see some deer here in the morning.

Have a look at this website http://v-g.me.uk/index.htm

This has a good list as well of kit

http://www.georgefisheronline.co.uk/light_back_1.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Are the majority of light weigh tents single skinned? Are there any problems with condensation?
    If you want ultra light weight then they will be going that way. but I've found that for the sake of an extra 1.5-2 lbs (1 litre of water) you can have lots more room and comfort and enjoy your camping more, I use bivvies quite often by myself for a the odd night etc but no way would I like to do a multiday walk with friends it's so anti-social.

What about we all meet up some where high (Lakes, Wales) and have a 'camp' We could run a few hills and have that high camp,

Mud you could even bring your Platypus full of wine.

Sarah could also check out lots of tents.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    If you want ultra light weight then they will be going that way. but I've found that for the sake of an extra 1.5-2 lbs (1 litre of water) you can have lots more room and comfort and enjoy your camping more, I use bivvies quite often by myself for a the odd night etc but no way would I like to do a multiday walk with friends it's so anti-social.

What about we all meet up some where high (Lakes, Wales) and have a 'camp' We could run a few hills and have that high camp,

Mud you could even bring your Platypus full of wine.

Sarah could also check out lots of tents.
    Thanks Ian, I was thinking along the same lines, its all a question of weight/comfort and getting the right balance, I think i would rather carry that extra 1lb or possibly 2 if it means a bit more comfort.

Think i've decided on the PHD minimus sleeping bag that baggins recommended.

Just want to make sure i get the right gear, its quite a lot of cash to be spent so i don't want to do my usual trick of buying stuff then deciding i need something better.

The camp sounds like an excellent idea, how about we all bring a platypus full of wine?