Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Races listed

Re: Races listed

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    What do you mean by a realistic championship field?
    It would be easier to define an unrealistic championship field.

If the main contenders for the championships, in all categories, are not able to enter the event then it would be considered as an unrealistic championship field.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    What do you mean by a realistic championship field? Do you mean that the race should be able to cope with every man and his dog wanting to run just because it's a championship race or that it should be able to cope with the number of runners who have a realistic chance of scoring individual or team points?
    You'd have to consider time of year, location etc. but I'd have thought that you'd need to be looking at 2-400 or so for most races. This is a tough one to call and maybe some guidelines on the subject will need to be thought about.

Maybe it's time for some radical thinking here.

Perhaps contenders for championships should have to register for the championship early in the year (maybe even pre-pay races?) - this would allow reservations in the actual races to be made.

Just a thought - I'm sure that there are other ways of doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    On the index page of the FRA website...
    Your views please?
    Should we do the whole year?
    Month at a time?
    What about non members viewing?
    I trust this has been successful.
    I suggest posting for the whole year.

Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, but I joined the FRA (at the turn of the year) specifically to get my hands on the calendar. If it'd been available online I doubt I would have bothered.

So, I'm not sure that posting full race details would ellicit many new members, but it would IMO encourage a lot more race entries by first timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Maybe it's time for some radical thinking here.

Perhaps contenders for championships should have to register for the championship early in the year (maybe even pre-pay races?) - this would allow reservations in the actual races to be made.

Just a thought - I'm sure that there are other ways of doing this.
    Perhaps the top xx runners from last years championship should be guaranteed entry to the following years Championship races? I don't mean for free or anything, but if some Big Gun misses the entry deadline, or the race is filled, rather than punishing their laziness, they should be squeezed into the race for the good of the Championship/Sport.

Just a thought.

I think PeeJay put his finger on an important point in that the final choice should be with race organisers who, after all, have the most intimate knowledge of the conditions pertaining to their event and how they want it advertised. The FRA has always allowed this flexibilty and I'm sure that will never be eroded by whatever is put out publically...after all that is what the committee is there for.
    It's common sense that a race within 20 miles of a major conurbation is going to attract more runners than one in the middle of nowhere. An inverse square law applies here with regards to the amount of 'advertising' a race would need.
    As for people who would not join the FRA if the calendar was publically available, fine. As far as I am concerned, there should be only one form of reduced entry fee and that is for FRA members only. If non-members want to do the race at a premium, all power to the organiser (who can set that premium at whatever level they think right). Oh, and only FRA members can win prizes, right?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Virtually every race is listed on line somewhere - it's just a case of digging around. I'd happily pay 12 quid a year for the magazines - those are worth far more than the calendar.

It was decided at the FRA committee meeting yesterday to continue posting race information on the website.

Details of races for the current and two subsequent months will be shown and therefore race information for May and June will be added soon.

Of course, details of races whose organisers have not indicated their agreement to the information being displayed on the website will not be included.

Margaret

Thanks Margaret.
    It makes it easy for me to copy and paste details of races which are in our club championship
    for emailing to club members.