Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Utmb

Re: Utmb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Not had any email contact yet, but my CCC entry says "To pay" and I think that means I'm in.
    Email did arrive eventually.

Paid the balance, just need to sort the med cert.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Re: Utmb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I used raidlights and taped them up, I'm not light, 80kilos, and found them fine.

On long gradual ascents I found them a god send. In normal fell races I often use hands on knees on the ascents, but with poles I could stand up straight.
    Iain, where and why did you tape the RLs?

Been using them on longer runs and walks. Trying to keep upright and definitely helping the lower back.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: UTMB Equipment/shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    Currently out in St Gervais, lost of people training on the course - saw Dawa Sherpa (aoplogies for the spelling) seemingly jogging with ease all the way up the col du Bonnhomle - impressive
    Dawa Sherpa will be taking part in the Vancouver Olympics in the 21k cross-country skiing event (Monday). He says his objective is not to fall over.

Anyone any experience of Mountain King Trail Blaze poles? They are (fairly) light and look ok but not sure they are really up to the kind of hammer I might inflict on them in a TMB.
    It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys

Me, I've got some of those mountain king poles. They are pretty much same as the Raidlight ones, but little bit cheaper (and I think made here in Britain) and for those wimps amongst us much easier to set up. The cord that you pull up to make the poles straight is a bit more flexible than the raidlight one and also (in my opinion) looks a bit more robust.

As with any of these lightweight poles you wouldn't go and fling your whole weight on them like you would say with proper walking poles, but mine have taken a lot of stick and have had me leaning on them quite heavily in the latter stages of a few ultras here and the alps and look fine.

The other good thing about the poles like these and the raidlight is that they are so light and fold away neatly, that if you are having the poles/no poles debate pre-race you can just have them in the side of your rucker in case.

My Raidlights have been doing good service on various walks/runs in the Three Peaks recently.

There are some mega-hard snow banks on the PW route down PyG where they have been if not life-savers, then extremely helpful.

They do bend when "left behind", but no snapping yet.

Iain

Could you answer my earlier question on the other UTMB thread here:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...719#post303719

Otherwise it's PM time.

Super Moderator

Didn't take my poles (Leki Titanium walking poles) on yesterday's BG recce but I'm going to try them for running soon
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Didn't take my poles (Leki Titanium walking poles) on yesterday's BG recce but I'm going to try them for running soon
    So if I find a corpse impaled on a pole I will presume you tripped over on one of your rapid decents

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    So if I find a corpse impaled on a pole I will presume you tripped over on one of your rapid decents
    Only rapid descent I made yesterday was sliding on my @rse!
    Poacher turned game-keeper