Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Calling the girls!

Re: Calling the girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I've really enjoyed the last 2½ years or so since my periods stopped and I didn't have to worry about children anymore. It's great being a retired teacher!
    Thanks for that swoop, love to get a different perspective on the debate
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

Quote Originally Posted by scaniagirl View Post
    Can't really call myself a runner, just started becaure my husband goes for runs and I got cold just walking. however...
    When I exercise, my cycle is 26-27 days, when I don't it's 30 days.
    I find that I get REALLY thirsty during eating week, the week before I come on, and if I drink loads I don't get pains. Also, brazil nuts are meant to be good for periods, some essential fats and/or minerals. Apparently (according to Bob Glover's runner's handbook) us girls need 200ish more calories when we're pre-menstrual.
    On a more pesonal note, if you're execising and your belly is getting bigger for no reason (and you're a girl) get to the doc's - I thought I was getting stomach muscles, without a flat belly cos i'm a girl and now I find I have a cyst.
    scaniagirl
    Hi Scaniagirl, its good to get someone else's experiences. I think we can all (well us girly forumites anyway) identify with needing more calories pre-menstrually. I do eat plenty of nuts and seeds, I'm sure you're right that the EFA's are important.

Where is the cyst? What are you having done about it?

JLS

Sorry to intrude but its well worth a look at this website

www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach

Lots of great pieces by Frank Horwill on training/nutrition etc. There are a couple on running and menstration giving advice. One piece quote I noticed by Noakes was that he advised hrt for non menstrating females to prevent declines in bone density.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Sorry to intrude but its well worth a look at this website

www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach

Lots of great pieces by Frank Horwill on training/nutrition etc. There are a couple on running and menstration giving advice. One piece quote I noticed by Noakes was that he advised hrt for non menstrating females to prevent declines in bone density.
    Don't mind the 'intrusion' at all bladerunner, that's a great website, thanks for the link.

JLS

Red face Re: Calling the girls!

JLS, I'm pleased that my bit if info is useful.
    Cyst is probably on my ovary, waiting for a scan on Tuesday.
    I'm so tired from it that I can't even do my little bit of walk/jog at the mo, but I am pushing myself to walk as much as poss, gotta be fit for when they do operate.
    It's a bit gloomy, I'm just totally kicking myself that I convinced myself that The hardness was new muscle (only on the righthand side, but I am right handed, and my belly was getting slowly bigger, but I thought I must have eaten more cake than I realised). But no-one expects a lump in the belly. I even felt daft as I told the doc I felt fat! Girls,eh, always apologetic.
    I am feeling a bit fitter than a month ago, so I'm trying an easy video.
    scaniagirl

A friend of mine had a cyst on her overy a few years ago and had an operation to have it removed. THink it was quite large. Obviously she was a little under the weather post op as you would be with anything, but once she'd recovered all has been right as rain ever since

OHW,
    thanks for that, it's good to hear something positive.
    I have to get better anyway cos I promised the husband that I'd do a mountain marathon with him when I'm 40.
    scaniagirl

Quote Originally Posted by scaniagirl View Post
    OHW,
    thanks for that, it's good to hear something positive.
    I have to get better anyway cos I promised the husband that I'd do a mountain marathon with him when I'm 40.
    scaniagirl
    Good on you Scaniagirl, that'll get you off your sick bed and back training again, good luck!

Thanx, jls - that it will, I should go dead fast without this huge lump in the way using all my food and water! Not that I ever went dead fast before tho'.

thinking about how my monthly cycle affects my performance today.
    A week before I come on, it's great, new personal bests in distance and time. I feel amazing, as if I could run all day (ha ha) and it feels so natural and comparatively effortless , sometimes this lasts onto the first day of my period.
    A few days in though, I feel as though I am running through treacle, I struggle to do the same as a fortnight earlier let alone a week earlier. The only benefit I get at this time is mental - if I don't exercise at all I am dead gloomy.
    I have noticed that the same principle applies to unstuctured sessions out with the husband (he gets really confused on my off days, after a week of brilliant training) and structured sessions with a heart rate monitor, training to 135-148bpm. ie longer bits of running til the hr gets high during the premenstrual week than during.
    hope that helps some more.
    scania girl