Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: where to start???

Re: where to start???

Loads of clubs that side, Abergele, Mysterons, Colwyn Bay, Denbigh, all active clubs.

Eryri's OK but to be honest I think a new person to running would get little from the club. I organise a week day training night in the fells, which has nothing to do with Eryri, and there's a sporadic and occassional Tuesday night hill reps session which tends not to get going until post xmas, and generally just runs until April, but otherwise the club doesn't have an active running programme. Sunday runs are now almost non-existant. It's a petty but I really don't think the club offers much to the new fell runner and you may benefit more joining a club with a more active training diary.

The one thing I would say is because Eryri's a huge club, if you turned up wearing a vest to races and chatted to those around you, you'd no doubt get into contact with people to train with. Most of us do that and train separately in smaller groups.
    Last edited by IainR; 29-11-2010 at 11:11 AM.

So are all those clubs running in the hills or on the street??? I have run along the n wales cycle path, but its the hills that I like... have been doing more runs in my walks when Im on my own, its a bit mean if I race off when Im walking with friends though . I'll start going up foel fras via Drum on my own and see how I go.

Thank you everyone

Quote Originally Posted by mabli View Post
    So are all those clubs running in the hills or on the street??? I have run along the n wales cycle path, but its the hills that I like... have been doing more runs in my walks when Im on my own, its a bit mean if I race off when Im walking with friends though . I'll start going up foel fras via Drum on my own and see how I go.

Thank you everyone
    Mainly road running clubs but most of the clubs have some fell runners. Other club is Clwydians.

Eryri's a huge club 300 odd members so if you joined and did races you'd meet people to get out with, but other clubs may have more of a structured week.

Head down to a few clubs and see what you think, clubs don't mind you running and training with them for months before joining.

I'd try a few clubs and see which one you prefer, normally its dictated by the people you meet and connect with rather than anything about the club really.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone for their replies and encouragement, Im trying to do daily 4 mile hilly runs and did a 10 mile carneddau run today, wasnt so hard once I got over the first hurdle :-)

its really hard to know what to take, wear, eat but I suppose that'll come

Master

"I'd try a few clubs and see which one you prefer, normally its dictated by the people you meet and connect with rather than anything about the club really."

This is so true. You only need to meet one or two people that you get on with and you are away.

Hey,
    Just saw this post, how are you getting on mabli? Are you out enjoying running the fells now?
    There's discussion on vegan fell shoes here:
    http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopi...17142&start=15
    PieMan

Hi Mabli, I'm newish too. Ive been advised that its really important to practise your map skills.