Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great fell races...

Re: Great fell races...

The Langdale Horseshoe for me

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Will, I think I misunderstood the OP. Burnsall is 1.6mile and 900ft
    Burnsall sounds a great one. must give it a go. (think a few shorter ones will do me good rather than being chronically knackered).

Going to try and do as many Al's as poss next year. Done Long Duddon,Langdale and Tour of Pendle this season and can highly recommend all 3.

If you fancy a trot in the Peak District, the Kinder downfall and Edale Skyline are worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    this year I had a go at the Wasdale and thoroughly enjoyed the heady mix of the ambiance, the occasion, the majesty of the surroundings, some terrible topographical challenges and last but most seeing Mr Naylor......I am most grateful to those who organised and helped out at the race....fantastic.

Which other races can rival Wasdale in terms of presenting not only an epic landscape to traverse, but also a feeling of having glimpsed a small part of the essence of fell running, if that makes sense ?

I'm thinking may be some of the Scottish ones, but I am ignorant of their history and looking for recommendations please ?

Thank you
    I think the three peaks in terms of occassion and fell running history.. so very different to the classics but one I think you have to do at some point in a fell running career..

But Jura is the number 1.. the first time I did it, just over 3:40 in superb conditions I was choking up as I finished, its just such an atmospheric race.

Peris, Jura and Wasdale are the big 3. Unfortunately I think the Peris lacks the other 2 due to a number of factors but mainly the start and finish areas.. no food... lack of chatting at the end... it just lacks the sense of occasion.. but its a stunning route..

The great lakes race is good though, more low key, but a fell walkers dream.. not much running...

In terms of camaraderie... atmosphere... then the HPM is worth a mention, team ethos, night time, makes it special..

Not done many Scotish, two breweries was fun but glenshee 9, slioch (ran the route - stunning) and arrochar are calling..

More votes for Ennerdale and 3 Peaks.
    But for me Borrowdale is the event that defines the term "fell race".
    Do what you like, like what you do

Ben Nevis. If you're going to run up and down a hill, it might as well be the big one. Full of history and ceremony. And brutal.
    For a long classic....Borrowdale.
    And what can beat a mid week affair, with 50 or so like minded folk getting together after work in the middle of nowhere and having a lung-busting run around a hill that nobody has heard of? Wonderful.

In the presence of such great fell races, may I make a case for the slightly more humble Wrekin and particularly the Wrekin Streak. The hill is a bit iconic to us Shroppies and the Streak is a classic straight up & down 3 miles, 1st race in the Shropshire Summer series so hopes for the year are always high, though usually dashed pretty soon afterwards.
    There's always a good field and if you're up for it, I understand the record time is something ridiculous like 13 or 14 minutes, though anything around 20 mins is pretty handy

Old County Tops, without a doubt. Especially if the clag is down and you've got some navigating to do!

Up here, Slioch without a doubt. An iconic mountain, a great route, a nice low-key race.

And while AJ is on about Shropshire, the Long Mynd Valleys is a classic of fellrunning.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Master

Ennerdale and Duddon - on clear days you can see how much ground you still have to cover - and both Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike should be on any list of great fell races.