Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Carneddau race

Re: Carneddau race - Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Good call by Ross - quite a few went for a run, we got just short of Carnedd Dafydd and found it a struggle to stay upright. We met several others who'd been out and all agreed that it had made sense to call it off. The choice to pull the plug sounded like it was taken after marshals had already been on the mountain - these are experienced runners themselves and they wouldn't take a decision like this lightly.
    Welsh Harrier I think it was myself and some other Pennine runners you bumped into. After just reaching 400-600 metres on our little trot it was pretty clear the organiser had made the right decision. The wind was buffeting us strongly there so god knows what it would have been like on an exposed ridge 1000 metres high. It was also very cold - I'm still not warm and I've been in a car for a few hours.

I feel for the organiser, having to cancel after putting all that work in puts our journey from Manchester to shame. Ill be back next year in better weather hopefully it looks like a cracking race.

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    Gutted...was really hyped for this race and when i get there im told it`s cancelled because of the weather..i was gonna push myself really hard on that to get 1st U23 to....me and fellow denbigh harrier Jon Fleming did a 6mile run up Moel Siabod to make up for it.

did anyone else show up disappointed?
    I did the same went up Siabod for a run, must have passed you somehow (i did come down the more sheltered side). I also agree with the RO's decision, it's possible to race in those conditions but any injury/accident becomes very serious quickly in the wind chill and I'd hate to think what it would be like to marshal in that for hours!

In the spirit of the 1962 mountain trial I would have been happy to race. Saying that I am 100% behind the RO and his descision.

We had a trot up to Carnedd Dafydd and it was grim.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Heard that.. Forecast was nasty, low temps, rain and strong winds and with recent history you can understand extra caution. Wind chill would be pretty severe had anyone got injured, on top of that the race has a nasty nav section of barely 500m.. which most people would have no idea about how to navigate.. it happened when it was the Brits.. runners all over the show...
    Hi Iain
    Which 500m is the tricky bit?

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Hi Iain
    Which 500m is the tricky bit?
    Leaving CL summit and picking up the path to YE..

also hitting the ridge between CD and CLl can be a bit tricky when the mist is really down as the path becomes a bit faint just before you reach the ridge from CD.
    good call Ross,its not the best of places to be lost or injured as your a long way back to any roads

Thanks

I did a recce of the race route early Friday morning when the weather was splendid
    I decided to do a run up Snowdon on the Sunday I had to crawl onto th summit as the wind was so strong

It's a shame. The following day on the Glyders was beautiful, too. Looking across to the Carnedds from Glyder Fach they were bathed in Sunshine. Just bad luck. Last years Carneddau was awful too - roll on next year.

Well done Ross. A very tough call but it sounds like all that experience guided you well. Sunday was bad but Monday was lovely. Cathie and I went for a walk on Holy Island and the views back to Snowdonia and the Llyn were wonderful. That's life!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth