Thread: Training Around Stafford

Training Around Stafford

I've just changed jobs and I'll be working in Stafford a few days a week for the next 6 months or so and some evenings I'll probably be round there gone 5pm. Rather than sit on the M6 for hours trying to get back to Winter Hill to train, it'd be better if I could get out round there and get some miles and climb in. Not really after track sessions or road, just a couple of hours out on my feet on hilly stuff.

I know of Staffs Moorlands but I think they're further north, had a look at Stafford Harriers but can't see any hill type sessions (could just be me, was only a brief look over the site) and I've no real idea how near Mercia FR are to where I'm working.

Does anyone else know and/or could point me to people down that way who may be able to help out please?

Cheers!

Have you tries these guys, just north of Stafford at Stone? http://www.stonemm.co.uk/ Their Spring Treble is certainly off road and a bit hilly, they must have some members that know local hill routes.

Rob.

Cannock chase is probably your best bet, not overly hilly but good trail/path network to go at. Just watch out for the doggers...

...and thanks for pointing out those races RunUpWhere, wouldn't have known they'd existed if not and the first (Swynnerton) is on my local off-road training ground!
    Last edited by ba-ba; 03-03-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Cheers gents! Shall have a look in to those, not the dogging though.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Cannock chase is probably your best bet, not overly hilly but good trail/path network to go at. Just watch out for the doggers...

...and thanks for pointing out those races RunUpWhere, wouldn't have known they'd existed if not and the first (Swynnerton) is on my local off-road training ground!
    Great, see you there! I'll be in a green and white hooped vest. (assuming I can make it in time, it's quite a drive for us after work)

Try milford common. on the rugeley road.some nice steep hills, bit short but steep could do reps or a bit further onto brocton coppice. some lovely terrain on the tops , old oak woodland. Theres a pub there too for afters.

Cheers! Only just spotted this, came on the look for something else.

Off down to Gloucester tonight so I've got a route out on the Malverns.