Thread: Asthma

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Apologies if there is already a thread about this, I can't find it. I've just been diagnosed with late onset Asthma and was wondering if anyone else suffers with this condition and if it affects their running. I've been given a brown preventer and a blue Ventolin inhaler. Although I finish towards the back of a race, I'd really like to carry on running for another 40 odd years. Cheers.
    Having had 2 very enjoyable years of fell racing in 1983 & 4 ( by no means a front runner but better results than I'd ever hoped for - always well within +50% of the winners' times) my performance nose-dived in '85 and whilst undergoing an occupational health check in the summer of '86, the company doctor was incredulous that I ran on the fells whilst only drawing 50% of expected VO2.
    That August I was diagnosed with "Exercise Induced" Asthma. I kept on fell running, just reduced my racing. Still thoroughly enjoy long days on the fells, generally exploring more than I could by walking plus supporting; the Bowland Vets teams in the champs, also BG's, CR's, PB's and Joss's. Now that I am 65, I'm having a tilt at a 24 hour Joss this May. Just off to bag 2,500+ feet of ascent with reps on Nicky Nook.

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 07-03-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!