Thread: Depression

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The battle is with ones self and life.

The battle goes on.
    Trev, i have to stress that the battle is only with ones self. The battle with life, as we see it, is really only a battle with our perception of life. It's one of the biggest magic tricks currently cursing western cultures; the idea that life's processes and events are stressful and that they cause us stress.

Ideas like that now tend to dissolve in my mind because i have The Work now working autonomously, but let's walk it through anyway.

Statement: "Life and other people are the cause of my stress". (I've expanded it slightly)

Q1, is it true? Yes, it feels like this day to day

Q2, can i be absolutely sure it's true? If i scrape my nails down a chalkboard in front of a room full of people, some will wince, some will grimace, some may protest wildly; and some will simply sit there wondering what the fuss is about. One man's feast is another man's famine. People's reactions will be down to how their brain deals with the stimulus. Transferring this principle across, how can i know my stress isn't down to how my own brain is dealing with the situations i face? I think the answer is no, i can't be absolutely sure.

Q3, how do i feel then i think this thought? Effing powerless! Like a victim of the world. I feel like i'm under assault from multiple angles, how am i going to win here? I feel abandoned by god and by life, i lash out in defence and get nowhere. How can i end this struggle!!

Intermediate question, can i see a reason to drop this belief? Yes! Christ...who wants to live like that? Spending every day suffering?

Q4, who would i be without this thought? Free of the chains of stress, and in a position to calmly question other long-held beliefs that may be hurting me. I hate feeling this way every day over and over again, without my attatchment to this belief i can begin to approach a state of neutrality and perhaps even start to enjoy my life again.

Intermediate question, can i see a stress-free reason to hold onto this belief? I find it very difficult to let go of things sometimes, i don't know why, but i just do. It's like i'm in love with my own flipping depression, and it's hard to live this way. I want to hold onto this belief, but there is no stress free way to do so. There are no stress-free reasons to keep thinking the way i do.

Turn the statement around and project it inwardly instead of outwardly:

"My outlook on life and myself are the cause of my stress"

Reflect on the turnaround. Keep reflecting for at least 5mins.

...and yes, the battle goes on, for me too, every day.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 15-08-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent