Thread: Lakeland Classics Trophy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks to Brett, results from this year's Lakeland Classics Trophy are posted: http://www.lakelandclassicstrophy.or...s-2/trophy-17/

56 people managed to complete the trophy this year, by racing 3 of the lakeland classics (including at least 2 of the super-long races).

That's less than there was a decade or so ago (the 104 who achieved it in 2008 was the high water mark) but still represents more doing the lakeland classics than when the LCT was initiated by Graham and Brian 15 years ago (38 people completed the first ever trophy in 2002).

Carl Bell's perfect score of 300 from 3 wins is only the 4th time its been achieved - Ricky Lightfoot (twice) and Rob Jebb being the others.

If anyone spots any mistakes in the results, let me know.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Thanks to Brett, results from this year's Lakeland Classics Trophy are posted: http://www.lakelandclassicstrophy.or...s-2/trophy-17/

56 people managed to complete the trophy this year, by racing 3 of the lakeland classics (including at least 2 of the super-long races).

That's less than there was a decade or so ago (the 104 who achieved it in 2008 was the high water mark) but still represents more doing the lakeland classics than when the LCT was initiated by Graham and Brian 15 years ago (38 people completed the first ever trophy in 2002).

Carl Bell's perfect score of 300 from 3 wins is only the 4th time its been achieved - Ricky Lightfoot (twice) and Rob Jebb being the others.

If anyone spots any mistakes in the results, let me know.
    I would like to record my public thanks to Bill and Ben for carrying on the LCT. This was the 16th and, if people will forgive the cliché, in 2002 when Brian Martin and I launched the LCT to help support entries for a few years for Wasdale and Ennerdale we little thought...

Bill is, of course, correct to note that completions are lower than they were, with 56 this year.

The five 3 year average completions for the first 15 LCTs are: 33 - 73 - 91 - 94 - 72 but eg Wasdale and Ennerdale will always be tough races and I never expected the numbers of LCT completers to keep rising year after year. Whilst I believe these races are the pinnacle of fell running and the supreme test, nobody has to keep doing them every year to prove their man (or woman) hood.

The fact is that there are now far more Long A races in the English Calendar than there have ever been - so there is just more choice. The growth and characteristics of races over the history of the FRA Calendar is something I have been looking at for a future submission for The Fellrunner and the very recent growth in Long A races is quite astonishing.

So, 16 years ago I was writing for The Fellrunner about the need to "save" Long A races and now I can write about the veritable abundance. Ah the rich historical tapestry of fell running!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".