Thread: run faster down hill

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It depends on the descent.

I got much better at descending when I moved to a flat bit of the country and had to do more running on roads. The increased cadence I gained really paid off on long gentle descents and I still hold the Black Combe downhill record (#humblebrag) which is one of these (I dare say Holmesy will have got down quicker before they started taking splits).

As for rougher/steeper descents this is a practise thing - and not just at speed. Getting out in the terrain will strengthen your balance, proprioception, knee lift and the required muscle groups. Most importantly however, you will learn (without realising) how to better read terrain. It is this that will help you get over the rougher ground quicker as your mind is subconsciously a few steps ahead and you get down without really thinking about it.

I rarely practise at race pace (maybe I'll go a bit quicker every now and then, but not all out), but often find I mince downhill when training and require the red mist of a race scenario to really get shifting.

When descending at my best I'd find my downhill cruise could beat the race pace of those around me. I'd then hit the rougher/steeper descents with gusto to gain more time/places, having saved a bit on the easier sections. However I don't feel quite as good downhill as I did in my mid-twenties (though this could be as I'm higher up the field now and racing faster people so it just feels slower).

Of course you could go full Ted Masson, who legend has it spent so much time on his ar$e descending at Alva he ripped all the skin off it and spent the next week wearing a dress as it was too painful for trousers!
    Last edited by ba-ba; 22-12-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy