Thread: Cross Country 2021-2022

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fixture 2 of the Birmingham League saw us travel a short distance south-east to Northampton, and one of my favourite courses (although listening to others, i'm well in the minority there)

Having been really quite ill for a few days, i wasn't sure i was even fit to race, but an early-morning fitness test on the treadmill and i'd survived, so it was off to Abington Park.

Imagine my surprise then to pick up a narrow pb in terms of league position (153rd), and manage to see off the challenge of one or two clubmates who usually beat me.

I can only imagine it was from running without pressure from the start... Just went out hoping to live through the ordeal, found myself in the hunt on laps 2 & 3, and had enough in the tank to see it home on lap 4.

The walk back to the car was a different story... first both calves cramped up, them both my entire upper legs.

As for team results, it was a strange day, with both Loughborough and Birchfield finishing well down on their usual positions. Although i understand there was a high-profile 5km race on in the Midlands this morning.

We were also depleted, losing our two best scores from the first fixture, and then another of our faster guys this morning. Tale of our season really. With the exception of Birmingham University who are way in front, the minor positions are there for the taking but nobody seems to want them!

Onto next year and the various county champs being the next fixture.
    Last edited by Travs; 04-12-2021 at 08:01 PM.