Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Strikes

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    And land prices are escalating because of carbon offsetting and sink grants, and the popularity of re-wilding schemes. Worries in Wales, for e.g. https://businesswales.gov.wales/farm...carbon-trading

Why should we use land to grow food and for food security when we can make $$$ and pretend we're 'saving the planet' at the same time - Kaaaching.

https://www.savills.co.uk/landing-pa...nd-values.aspx

"The most recent trend is the rise of the environmental buyer. With ambitious targets set by government and companies to reduce their environmental impact, from biodiversity loss to carbon emissions, farmland is being targeted as a solution to these issues."

Who needs scruffy sheep on the fell sides anyway, eating up all the pretty scenery and supporting grumpy hill farmers and their families?
    On the Cross Country thread you'll see a couple of issues I raise around this issue.

A few weeks ago I had a chat with the farmer who's land covers about 1/3 of our cross country course at the back of Witton.

He said farmers have always had support since the war as they are seen as essential producers.

But now they are being supported to not produce. He can get grants to set aside land to re-wild.

But the strangest one was that if he has any cattle, if he has a bolus inserted inside them, he can sell carbon offset to airlines.
    Apparently it will stop them burping.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 09-01-2023 at 02:23 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    On the Cross Country thread you'll see a couple of issues I raise around this issue.

A few weeks ago I had a chat with the farmer who's land covers about 1/3 of our cross country course at the back of Witton.

He said farmers have always had support since the war as they are seen as essential producers.

But now they are being supported to not produce. He can get grants to set aside land to re-wild.

But the strangest one was that if he has any cattle, if he has a bolus inserted inside them, he can sell carbon offset to airlines.
    Apparently it will stop them burping.
    It's bonkers, isn't it? Bottom line is when we next find ourselves in a kinetic war/conflict, and there will be one somewhere down the road, and we need to tool-up asap, we'll have no manufacturing capacity, no reliable energy source and no food (and sadly too few with the emotional and physical gumption to wage it). Sorry, should have prefaced with a trigger warning (no pun intended) least the thought of such an event was so disturbing that it gave the collie-wobbles and an urge to speed dial for extra counselling Still, we'll never be short of gammon
    Last edited by Witton Park; 09-01-2023 at 02:23 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    It's bonkers, isn't it? Bottom line is when we next find ourselves in a kinetic war/conflict, and there will be one somewhere down the road, and we need to tool-up asap, we'll have no manufacturing capacity, no reliable energy source and no food (and sadly too few with the emotional and physical gumption to wage it). Sorry, should have prefaced with a trigger warning (no pun intended) least the thought of such an event was so disturbing that it gave the collie-wobbles and an urge to speed dial for extra counselling Still, we'll never be short of gammon
    Seems I'm still a moderator I managed to amend mine to 1/3 (I'd put 1/33) and also your quote as well

Folk out there beware

I've had a few knockabouts on here over the years and usually whilst I disagree, I can usually see logic and reason in differing opinions.

Some of what is going on in recent years though is off the charts bonkers territory and I struggle to get my head around it.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell