Thread: running after hip replace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For some time I've been inspired by stories on this thread as my surgery date approached. I had both hips replaced last week. Similar materials - ceramic and titanium - although my surgeon advised getting custom implants; they are more expensive but should give a better outcome for future activities and I needed a CT scan to get the measurements for the precision manufacturing. It will be some time before I'm running, let alone walking again, but I'll give it my best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    For some time I've been inspired by stories on this thread as my surgery date approached. I had both hips replaced last week. Similar materials - ceramic and titanium - although my surgeon advised getting custom implants; they are more expensive but should give a better outcome for future activities and I needed a CT scan to get the measurements for the precision manufacturing. It will be some time before I'm running, let alone walking again, but I'll give it my best.
    Good luck with your recovery Mark. Presumably your surgeon knew about your intentions to run again prior to surgery - what were his thoughts?

Yes, we had a good discussion about my goals, as well as making the decision to replace both at the same time rather than in separate operations.

He said to treat the first 6 weeks like a fracture to let the bone grow around the implant. The xrays at the follow up appointment will hopefully confirm that this is on track.
    Last edited by MarkR; 08-08-2023 at 12:50 PM. Reason: extra info

I had my 6 week check up today. The xrays showed that the bone has grown around the implants, that everything is secure, and the wounds are looking good. I've been limited to 1 mile per day walking (which I reached about two and a half weeks after the operation), but I'm now allowed to gradually increase my daily mileage. I asked specifically about fell running and was told that as long as I allow the muscles time to regain strength and rebuild fitness there are no limits (as far as the hips are concerned) on what I can do. I aim to learn to walk before I run again, but so far so good.

Stay focused and play the long game.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Best wishes for your recovery, and when you do get to running let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Stay focused and play the long game.
    Probably the best 7 words of advice you're likely to get.

I was told, by the excellent Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham, that it takes time for the bone to grow around the added parts to build the joints to full strength. (The risk in the early stages is rattling the parts loose.) In my case this was a year.

I didn't think I'd ever be able to run again, and now I am tentatively running 400m (on soft grass after it's rained) after having an excellent consultation with my surgeon.