Thread: Pain in the arse.

Pain in the arse.

My husband said I have to start a thread about his injury!

Just behind top of his hip, when walking or running, worse when running up hill.

Any ideas or sensible suggestions please.

Would be good if he can stop moaning

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Pain in the arse.

1. Has he seen this?

2. Is it so bad he can't start his own threads?

Diagnosis du jour is trochanteric bursitis. May respond to steroid jab
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Possibly a tight/weakened/overactive or all of the above gluteus maximus muscle - a predominant hip extensor especially involved in uphill running.

1. Is there a specific tender spot to touch (be firm) - if so where, how does it compare to the same area on the other leg?
    2. At what point during the motion of running on the affected leg does the pain occur - i.e as the heel is striking the floor / as he is pushing off the affected leg / as the affected leg is back in extension

Try the following - assess for range of movement & pain or both in comparison to the unaffected leg;

1. Laying on back - knee to chest one at a time, pull knee up with hands for full effect

2. In standing - feet wide apart, double leg squat as far as possible (to go further remain on tip-toes)

3. As above but now a single leg squat (balancing on one leg) - use a work surface for upper limbs for balance

4. You (the wife!) watch and assess for this one - get your husband to place HIS finger tips over the bony projections on the front of his pelvis - to find them, run your fingers up the middle of your thighs and keep going until you feel a bony prominence. Now...keeping an upright posture (not bending forward), perform a single leg squat again for each leg. You as the observer note if - his finger tips remain horizontally level throughout the squat in comparison to each leg. Also how 'easy' or 'hard' does the task appear for each leg, any difference, does he shake a lot on the affected side?

To rule out a trochanteric bursitis (very rare and very stubborn to treat) - you the wife, run your hand up the side of the affected thigh (husband in standing), again until you reach a bony prominence sticking out to the side - this is the greater trochanter (not the hip joint itself), and should be near to where the pain is. Stay on the outer most point and press around there very firmly - is there pain, tenderness? If so, compare to the other side, any difference? Hopefully no pain especially as you say the pain is behind the (hip) greater trochanter.

For further assurance that it isn't a bursitis, husband stood side on to a door /wall with the affected leg. Now push to the side against the wall with the affected leg as hard as possible, hold for a few seconds, repeat up to 10 times...any pain/reproduction of the symptoms??

Try the above, note down any differences between affected and unaffected leg and get back to me (PM me if you wish).

Hope this helps

Ian
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Physio Ian View Post
    you the wife, run your hand up the side of the affected thigh (husband in standing), again until you reach a bony prominence sticking out to the side
    Steady on....

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Steady on....
    I really must read back my instructions before posting them! All above board I can assure you!
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

Quote Originally Posted by Physio Ian View Post
    Possibly a tight/weakened/overactive or all of the above gluteus maximus muscle - a predominant hip extensor especially involved in uphill running.

1. Is there a specific tender spot to touch (be firm) - if so where, how does it compare to the same area on the other leg?
    2. At what point during the motion of running on the affected leg does the pain occur - i.e as the heel is striking the floor / as he is pushing off the affected leg / as the affected leg is back in extension

Try the following - assess for range of movement & pain or both in comparison to the unaffected leg;

1. Laying on back - knee to chest one at a time, pull knee up with hands for full effect

2. In standing - feet wide apart, double leg squat as far as possible (to go further remain on tip-toes)

3. As above but now a single leg squat (balancing on one leg) - use a work surface for upper limbs for balance

4. You (the wife!) watch and assess for this one - get your husband to place HIS finger tips over the bony projections on the front of his pelvis - to find them, run your fingers up the middle of your thighs and keep going until you feel a bony prominence. Now...keeping an upright posture (not bending forward), perform a single leg squat again for each leg. You as the observer note if - his finger tips remain horizontally level throughout the squat in comparison to each leg. Also how 'easy' or 'hard' does the task appear for each leg, any difference, does he shake a lot on the affected side?

To rule out a trochanteric bursitis (very rare and very stubborn to treat) - you the wife, run your hand up the side of the affected thigh (husband in standing), again until you reach a bony prominence sticking out to the side - this is the greater trochanter (not the hip joint itself), and should be near to where the pain is. Stay on the outer most point and press around there very firmly - is there pain, tenderness? If so, compare to the other side, any difference? Hopefully no pain especially as you say the pain is behind the (hip) greater trochanter.

For further assurance that it isn't a bursitis, husband stood side on to a door /wall with the affected leg. Now push to the side against the wall with the affected leg as hard as possible, hold for a few seconds, repeat up to 10 times...any pain/reproduction of the symptoms??

Try the above, note down any differences between affected and unaffected leg and get back to me (PM me if you wish).

Hope this helps

Ian
    Thanks for this helpful advice.

I did see a physio last week but it hasn't really had any impact yet. Some days are better than others but the pain never goes away!

There is a specific spot which is very tender to touch - deep into the top buttock area on the right side.

When I am walking and If I touch the area I can feel it clicking!!

It is most painful when running / walking uphill!

What do people think of Glucosomine? Has anyone taken it and what did they think of it?

I am feeling prety distressed about it now and hope it's nothing major!

Master and MR

tim you sure its not something to do with your back mate

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    There is a specific spot which is very tender to touch - deep into the top buttock area on the right side.

When I am walking and If I touch the area I can feel it clicking
    Bloke goes to the doctor, and says "doctor, it hurts when I press here, here and here".

The doctor says "yes, you've broken your finger".

Wheeze - how long should you take Ibuprofen for?