Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stopping Racing

Re: Stopping Racing

[QUOTE=Vince;84283]
    Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post

When I'm injured I really miss the long Sunday runs, I've tried getting out on the road bike and mountain bike and after an hour I'm bored to be honest, quote]
    You are not mountain biking in the right places then!!
    Maybe not, but I would much rather be running either way!

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    After a 5-6 weeks lay off due to yet another injury I am seriously thinking about stopping racing and just running in the hills for the enjoyment of it. ..
    At 75 years old I've been thinking that for years! Only last month when I pulled a hamstring three weeks before the Derwentwater '10' I was getting a bit low again. But I dutifully took the offending leg to the physio and ordered him to get it mended. He got it right just in time! I found a nice B&B near Ashness Bridge, had a wonderful meal at the Scafell hotel, whizzed round the lake, marvelling at the autumn colours, enjoyed lots of camaraderie and banter with fellow runners, picked up my prize and came home rejoicing. Stop racing? Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Runningfox View Post
    At 75 years old I've been thinking that for years! Only last month when I pulled a hamstring three weeks before the Derwentwater '10' I was getting a bit low again. But I dutifully took the offending leg to the physio and ordered him to get it mended. He got it right just in time! I found a nice B&B near Ashness Bridge, had a wonderful meal at the Scafell hotel, whizzed round the lake, marvelling at the autumn colours, enjoyed lots of camaraderie and banter with fellow runners, picked up my prize and came home rejoicing. Stop racing? Never!
    I am inspired Running fox! who would be dead and miss it all!
    Ady i had the glad news yesterday that i have to have an Op on my achilles, only Mrc knew about this because i had planned as you know a BGR next year, that has now to be a serious doubt, we can recoup together! and you know how slow i am now so when you whizz past me you will feel great! see every cloud has a sliver lining!
    But as Runningfox says stop racing/running looking at the wonderful sights we are privileged to see in our sport Never!
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Runningfox View Post
    At 75 years old I've been thinking that for years!
    You are an inspiration Mr Running Fox - I have noted some of your results and they are obscene for a person of your years (or 15 less)!!
    I suspect I will be running with a number pinned to me again (maybe even before the year's out!) along with some LVRC road races on the bike after next June! If tomorrow's little 4 mile trot goes without a hitch then I will class myself as uninjured and 'get on with it'. At least I got several hundred miles in on the bike whilst out injured which was a bonus.
    Hope all you lot get sorted soon and I hope to see some of you on the fells this winter

Since the millenium (and middle age) I have been beset by injury probs, the more I tried to get fit for racing the worse it got. I only race a bit now - if I feel like it - I train all the time, go where I want, explore new hills and routes without pressure. Running is more enjoyable than ever, unfortunately too enjoyable, as I tend to overtrain because I just love being out there. But not pushing the effort too hard, has meant less injuries overall.

I don't feel bad about rarely racing, and enjoy the hills more than ever, I get to explore and see them and I'm far more adventurous .

Give yourself a strict 12 months off racing. Put your body back together again, I recommend running solo more, no race dates in the calendar, so pressure. If you feel a twinge - walk or shorten the run. In a year's time, see how you are and take it from there.

And you could try the 'long slow distance' challenges for a change
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I failed to complete my first ever race 3 weeks ago - straining a hamstring on a fast downhill - I was in the best shape I have ever been (since I was about 16 that is) - and have now missed out on 3 races I really wanted to do this year.

In hindsight I've realised I have been overdoing it, I did a tough training session a few days before the race and tightened the hamstring - so I had been warned.
    I can't imagine not racing - but I'm going to have longer periods with a break from racing and I'm definitely going to avoid too many hard sessions and ensure I get the right rest and recovery.