Thread: Tds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I've done it in a pair of Hoka Stinson Evo with no issues if that gives you an idea.
    That was after the previous time when I set off in a pair of x-talons which was a big mistake.
    There are a few mildly technical bits and if it rains it will get muddy.
    But I'd definitely go for comfort over grip, if you can't have both.
    Thanks Wardy - that's helpful.
    Quite a jump from X-Talons to Hokas! Would you try it in a more 'middle ground' shoe in the future or do you think that the cushion of the Hokas is a real bonus? By way of reference, what would you wear for something like Lakeland 50?

My ultra career fizzled out a few years ago now and I think Hoka have moved on since the clown shoe days. So I'm sure you can do the research and find a well cushioned trail shoe that suits you.
    But to answer the question I did a bone dry Lakeland 50 and a wet UTMB in the same pair of Stinsons again with no problems at all.
    TDS has got some very long, fast easy angled descents on rocky ground. There is a massive difference in comfort and speed between bouncing your way down in well cushioned shoes and avoiding/feeling every single rock in thin shoes. I'm sure something 'middle ground' would be fine, but there is a reason Hokas got to be popular over there, they definitely did the job for me.
    Am very jealous, its a great race in some stunning scenery, just wished I'd taken more of it in at the time instead of being in 'race mode'. Only other advice I can give is use poles and keep eating. Oh and the climb back up out of Bourg St M is a swine in the heat of the afternoon, make sure you start up it with 2 full bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by bena View Post
    Thanks Wardy - that's helpful.
    Quite a jump from X-Talons to Hokas! Would you try it in a more 'middle ground' shoe in the future or do you think that the cushion of the Hokas is a real bonus? By way of reference, what would you wear for something like Lakeland 50?