Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway memorial

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Not a good day for me. The wheels came off at about Innominate Tarn, and I DNF'd. I did consider jogging the remaining hills, but it quickly became apparent it would have been a slow walk.
    That's a shame Noel. Next year..

I'm amazed how consistent I seem to be on this race, despite my times at other races seeming to get slower and slower each year as my body gradually falls apart.
    This is the 4th time I've done the DazH Buttermere Horseshoe (out of the 6 times its been held) and my times have all been within 6 minutes - 5:39, 5:45, 5:44 and this year 5:44.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Geordie indie rockers Maximo Park have a gift in the art of penning a good tune. One such gem being “Postcard of a painting” which contains the fantastic line: You are just another thing that I have yet to fathom.

There are many things that I’ve yet to fathom, none more so than the science of running.

I didn’t like science at school, I always thought of it as being Intense. All the maths, physics, atoms, matter, particles...really wasn’t my thing and as for how a pinhole camera works, who cares? You can buy a disposable Kodak from Argos for next to nowt.

The science of running: now that’s a different ‘matter’ altogether. My preparation for Buttermere wasn’t what you’d call textbook, I was worried I’d done too much and burnout like the old Bunsen burners from school. In the two weeks leading up to Buttermere I’d done approximately 80 miles with 38000ft of ascent / descent. My only tapering being on Friday the day before the race when we had a short walk with the dog. I’d suggested a recce of the route from Red Pike to the finish but my wife was having none of it....to be fair she’d a very valid reason to refuse my request.

The last race recce we did was a few weeks ago for the Great Lakes race and it turned into a bit of an epic. I told Alison it was only 14 miles and she’d have no problems. What I failed to mention is that it’s 14 miles over some of the trickiest terrain that The Lake District has to offer. We were out far longer than I’d envisaged with Alison struggling over the rough terrain. She would occasionally mention that her feet were sore and I’d keep turning around and offer words of encouragement: “not long now love we’re nearly back at the van”.....”you’ve been saying that for hours”. I had been saying it for hours....8 hours if truth be told. But to her credit she gingerly plodded on...’dug in’...as Daz H would say.

I’ve felt a tinge of guilt ever since the Great Lakes recce. I thought it would be a nice day out whilst up in the Lakes celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary. It’s certainly an anniversary that Alison will never forget, she’ll be reminded every time she looks at her feet.....in the days that followed she lost 6 toenails.

I’ve tried to make light of ‘toe-gate’ with the following words of comfort: you’ll save a fortune on nail polish and you’re now sixty percent less likely to get an in-growing toenail. So far my comforting words haven’t worked and apparently, “I’m a dick”. What I’ve failed to tell her is that the missing nails will most likely grow back like talons and the money saved in nail polish will be swallowed up replacing laddered tights and plucked bed sheets. I think I’ll let her discover these unfortunate upcoming events for herself.

Unsurprisingly she wasn’t up for the Buttermere recce.

Race day and I’m tired. Not so much physically tired, legs were a little heavy but otherwise ok, I’m more lack of sleep tired. We’d camped in Lorton on Friday night and the site owner had warned us that the camping field was busy as it was Woolfest in Cockermouth. A look on the internet described Woolfest as being, ‘a celebration of wool and wool crafts’. We’re not expecting the wool enthusiasts to be a riotous bunch and happily set up camp. To be fair the Woolfest campers weren’t ‘wolves in sheeps clothing’ but they did form a big social circle where they sat around ‘spinning a good yarn’ into the early hours. I’m a light sleeper and now know that Sandra from Grimsby made her own lap loom.

Pre race and Alison offers to apply sun cream to my shoulders. I say it’s not needed as it’s cloudy. She insists you can still get burnt through the clouds but I know best and declined her kind offer. I tell her to put her feet up and relax, give her toes a good airing....she accuses me of taking the piss.

Jump forward 12 hours......”Darren, will you stop fidgeting?”.

I could sense Alison’s frustration but I couldn’t get comfy. In my attempts to get some sleep, moving this way and that, every turn unleashed a level of discomfort which keeps me awake. Why can’t I sleep, I should be knackered: Sandra’s unexpected lap loom lecture on Friday night followed by Buttermere should’ve had me comatosed. But I’m restless with sunburnt shoulders and I await Alison’s “ I told you to put on some cream” but to her credit she knows she was right and doesn’t rub it in...oh the irony! But the sunburn is the least of my worries, it’s the pricks I’m struggling to handle.

Basically if you get the descent off Melbreak wrong you’re in the shit.....the shit being the leg lacerating gorse bushes. For a moment whilst descending I lost concentration while looking to see if Calder Valley runner Ian Symington had found a better line than myself. Judging by the cursing coming from Ian’s direction it’s evident he’s also struggling. At this point I laughed, in part at Ian’s cursing but more so for the predicament we’d found ourselves in. Laugh in the face of adversity and it releases feel good endorphins....my endorphins were being put to the test big time.

A stumble then wiped the smile from my grinning face. Somehow I stop myself from falling forwards but landed heavily into a large patch of gorse. My hands softened the fall but got prickled to hell and my arse was also on the receiving end of many a prick. At this point I’m going to change pricks to thorns otherwise the double entendres that can be conjured up are just too tempting. I think my descent off Melbreak is the worst line I’ve ever taken in any race and at the last count earlier today I’d pulled 36 thorns from my legs. As for pulling pricks out of my arse....’oh matron’...sorry I couldn’t resist.

In summary: Up until the last descent off Melbreak everything was going fine. My worries of over doing the miles in the build up to the race were unfounded. I felt great and only wish I’d have pushed it more early on, I should’ve gone with Carl Bell from the off and given him a race.....there you go all the evidence you need to prove I don’t half talk some bollocks.

Many thanks to the wonderful people of Cumberland fell runners, you guys did an amazing job in hosting such a huge event. Thanks also to the many helpers. And the cakes and food were incredible, thank you ladies.

But I’m left with something else I’ve yet to fathom....surely a round bread roll is a barm cake? Not a cob and most certainly not a tea cake.

I’m going to have a drink now in my newly acquired Darren Holloway ‘Dig In’ glass.....here’s to you Daz.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Your race "write-up" are the best Darren! You really should put them all together and pen a book. Brilliant read :-)

I agree!

Top bloke

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Your race "write-up" are the best Darren! You really should put them all together and pen a book. Brilliant read :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes that would have been me Sam... surprised you spotted me by my vest, as i'm sure my backpack would have covered the Coventry Godiva logo on the back as you cruised past!

Most people seem to mistake it for a Carnethy vest!

Awesome time by the way, that the sort of time i eventually aspire to... sub-5, well, i can dream...!
    I can currently only dream of sub-5! I felt good on the day but just could quite put it together. A bit of discomfort in my left foot has led me to lacing my Walshes a little loose - that &, MORE THAN ANYTHING, poor technique, made contouring a little tricky! Interesting looking at the results - I got passed by Kelli Roberts (2nd woman) at about 5 miles, but she managed to put an hour on me by the finish (big up Kelli on a fantastic race, if you’re here!)

I’m a regular at XC & road relays with my other club (Holme Pierrepont), so I recognise the famous Godiva vest pretty easily. Perhaps our paths will cross at one of these races? (Me: navy blue vest with red stripe, red shorts. Small. Bald. Not that pretty...)

Well done on your PB - sounds like training is paying dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    I can currently only dream of sub-5! I felt good on the day but just could quite put it together. A bit of discomfort in my left foot has led me to lacing my Walshes a little loose - that &, MORE THAN ANYTHING, poor technique, made contouring a little tricky! Interesting looking at the results - I got passed by Kelli Roberts (2nd woman) at about 5 miles, but she managed to put an hour on me by the finish (big up Kelli on a fantastic race, if you’re here!)

I’m a regular at XC & road relays with my other club (Holme Pierrepont), so I recognise the famous Godiva vest pretty easily. Perhaps our paths will cross at one of these races? (Me: navy blue vest with red stripe, red shorts. Small. Bald. Not that pretty...)

Well done on your PB - sounds like training is paying dividends.
    Perhaps a famous vest.. but unknown on the fells! Although my crack team at the Lee Mill Relays might propel Godiva to fellracing stardom (or not)!

I know Holme from the relays as you say... will keep an eye out for you...!

I experienced same issues as yourself (although i'm obviously at a lower level than you)... Been hammering round the grassy, less technical courses (but no less steep or physical effort required), in Shropshire. Transport myself to Ennerdale & Buttermere, and hit some rocky/steep contouring and mile upon mile of technical ground, and i just can't compete technically with those that i can match for pace and climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Geordie indie rockers Maximo Park have a gift in the art of penning a good tune. One such gem being “Postcard of a painting” which contains the fantastic line: You are just another thing that I have yet to fathom.

There are many things that IÂ’ve yet to fathom, none more so than the science of running.

I didnÂ’t like science at school, I always thought of it as being Intense. All the maths, physics, atoms, matter, particles...really wasnÂ’t my thing and as for how a pinhole camera works, who cares? You can buy a disposable Kodak from Argos for next to nowt.

The science of running: now that’s a different ‘matter’ altogether. My preparation for Buttermere wasn’t what you’d call textbook, I was worried I’d done too much and burnout like the old Bunsen burners from school. In the two weeks leading up to Buttermere I’d done approximately 80 miles with 38000ft of ascent / descent. My only tapering being on Friday the day before the race when we had a short walk with the dog. I’d suggested a recce of the route from Red Pike to the finish but my wife was having none of it....to be fair she’d a very valid reason to refuse my request.

The last race recce we did was a few weeks ago for the Great Lakes race and it turned into a bit of an epic. I told Alison it was only 14 miles and she’d have no problems. What I failed to mention is that it’s 14 miles over some of the trickiest terrain that The Lake District has to offer. We were out far longer than I’d envisaged with Alison struggling over the rough terrain. She would occasionally mention that her feet were sore and I’d keep turning around and offer words of encouragement: “not long now love we’re nearly back at the van”.....”you’ve been saying that for hours”. I had been saying it for hours....8 hours if truth be told. But to her credit she gingerly plodded on...’dug in’...as Daz H would say.

IÂ’ve felt a tinge of guilt ever since the Great Lakes recce. I thought it would be a nice day out whilst up in the Lakes celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary. ItÂ’s certainly an anniversary that Alison will never forget, sheÂ’ll be reminded every time she looks at her feet.....in the days that followed she lost 6 toenails.

I’ve tried to make light of ‘toe-gate’ with the following words of comfort: you’ll save a fortune on nail polish and you’re now sixty percent less likely to get an in-growing toenail. So far my comforting words haven’t worked and apparently, “I’m a dick”. What I’ve failed to tell her is that the missing nails will most likely grow back like talons and the money saved in nail polish will be swallowed up replacing laddered tights and plucked bed sheets. I think I’ll let her discover these unfortunate upcoming events for herself.

Unsurprisingly she wasnÂ’t up for the Buttermere recce.

Race day and I’m tired. Not so much physically tired, legs were a little heavy but otherwise ok, I’m more lack of sleep tired. We’d camped in Lorton on Friday night and the site owner had warned us that the camping field was busy as it was Woolfest in Cockermouth. A look on the internet described Woolfest as being, ‘a celebration of wool and wool crafts’. We’re not expecting the wool enthusiasts to be a riotous bunch and happily set up camp. To be fair the Woolfest campers weren’t ‘wolves in sheeps clothing’ but they did form a big social circle where they sat around ‘spinning a good yarn’ into the early hours. I’m a light sleeper and now know that Sandra from Grimsby made her own lap loom.

Pre race and Alison offers to apply sun cream to my shoulders. I say itÂ’s not needed as itÂ’s cloudy. She insists you can still get burnt through the clouds but I know best and declined her kind offer. I tell her to put her feet up and relax, give her toes a good airing....she accuses me of taking the piss.

Jump forward 12 hours......”Darren, will you stop fidgeting?”.

I could sense Alison’s frustration but I couldn’t get comfy. In my attempts to get some sleep, moving this way and that, every turn unleashed a level of discomfort which keeps me awake. Why can’t I sleep, I should be knackered: Sandra’s unexpected lap loom lecture on Friday night followed by Buttermere should’ve had me comatosed. But I’m restless with sunburnt shoulders and I await Alison’s “ I told you to put on some cream” but to her credit she knows she was right and doesn’t rub it in...oh the irony! But the sunburn is the least of my worries, it’s the pricks I’m struggling to handle.

Basically if you get the descent off Melbreak wrong youÂ’re in the shit.....the shit being the leg lacerating gorse bushes. For a moment whilst descending I lost concentration while looking to see if Calder Valley runner Ian Symington had found a better line than myself. Judging by the cursing coming from IanÂ’s direction itÂ’s evident heÂ’s also struggling. At this point I laughed, in part at IanÂ’s cursing but more so for the predicament weÂ’d found ourselves in. Laugh in the face of adversity and it releases feel good endorphins....my endorphins were being put to the test big time.

A stumble then wiped the smile from my grinning face. Somehow I stop myself from falling forwards but landed heavily into a large patch of gorse. My hands softened the fall but got prickled to hell and my arse was also on the receiving end of many a prick. At this point IÂ’m going to change pricks to thorns otherwise the double entendres that can be conjured up are just too tempting. I think my descent off Melbreak is the worst line IÂ’ve ever taken in any race and at the last count earlier today IÂ’d pulled 36 thorns from my legs. As for pulling pricks out of my arse....Â’oh matronÂ’...sorry I couldnÂ’t resist.

In summary: Up until the last descent off Melbreak everything was going fine. My worries of over doing the miles in the build up to the race were unfounded. I felt great and only wish IÂ’d have pushed it more early on, I shouldÂ’ve gone with Carl Bell from the off and given him a race.....there you go all the evidence you need to prove I donÂ’t half talk some bollocks.

Many thanks to the wonderful people of Cumberland fell runners, you guys did an amazing job in hosting such a huge event. Thanks also to the many helpers. And the cakes and food were incredible, thank you ladies.

But IÂ’m left with something else IÂ’ve yet to fathom....surely a round bread roll is a barm cake? Not a cob and most certainly not a tea cake.

I’m going to have a drink now in my newly acquired Darren Holloway ‘Dig In’ glass.....here’s to you Daz.
    Great stuff Darren & good to see you!

Thumbs up

First scoot around Buttermere Horseshoe and what an absolute beauty she is. Everytime i race in the lakes, i think i'm going to struggle to top that for a true fell route but they just seem to get better each time. Had a decent...ish enough race. 5.07, i think sub 5 is easily achievable with a recce. Plan was to start very steady and then try and finish strong...which i kind of did. A few issues didnt help along the way but generally a grand old day out.

For some reason i decided to add Red Pike summit just because im a bit stupid like that sometimes when my head is down and then took the worst line possible through the woods heading to the very bottom of Melbreak. Did run a few sections with Mr Fishwick himself but with some fancy line choices being taken he slipped my grasp. :-) See you next year! I'll be back for more of that thank you. The support on the hill was superb. I even managed to get a massage off a club mate on a cramping right quad in honister. Way too early for those type of shennanigans to be setting in but it certainly set me up for a decent second half.

You can truly see why they are know as the classics when they are this good. Oh and Carl Bell...well the mind boggles.
    My old man told me afterwards how he had watched him RUN up Melbreak. What an animal.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Great write up Darren but aren’t they Mackems?

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Great write up Darren but aren’t they Mackems?
    I agree, another great write up Darren. Really enjoyed running virtually all the way from Honister with you Darren. Gutted when you dropped me up Melbreak but was smiling when I was cruising along a sneaky trod and could see you fighting in that gorse.
    Always a pleasure racing with you mate but they are Mackems