Thread: Ian Roberts Fell Race

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ian Roberts Fell Race

Reply in General and letter of apology.

Reply in General:

Someone has commented that odd numbers were allocated when we ran out of the series 1-100. Let me assure you that odd numbers were not allocated. The next series was 233-285 and all the numbers were checked in to the 149 who finished plus the DNF runners.

There was a marshal taking all the numbers halfway round and there were other marshals around the course. On top of that a sweeper followed the last runner.

We fell short of our normal good organisation and our President has written the attached apology.

The wrong direction was taken by the first 42 runners because some walkers on the Pennine Way sent them in that direction and unfortunately a key piece of tape had either been blown away or been moved by walkers.

Tim Cock
    For Holmfirth Harriers

Letter of apology:

11th March 2007

Dear Runner

Thankyou for entering and running the Ian Roberts Memorial fell race today. Holmfirth Harriers AC take great care and pride in organising races and events in general. Much consideration is given to the safety and welfare of all competitors when organising all events I feel that today we let ourselves down and in doing so hosted a less than acceptable event.

Please accept my apologies for any shortcomings which may have occurred today and please be assured that we shall endeavour to ensure that standards remain high in the future.

In March 2008 we shall stage this event again as part of the celebrations for our club centenary year and we look forward to seeing you there.

Yours Sincerely

Ashley Smith
    President

Well said Tim. I'm another one who didn't go to the race this year, but I've done it in the past and it's been excellent. It's one of those gloriously low key fell races where as a runner you basically turn up and run and finish. And then stay for the prize giving in the lovely warm sunny club house - brill! With a bar too.

Quote Originally Posted by HHAC View Post
    Reply in General and letter of apology.

Reply in General:

Letter of apology:

President
    Unfortunately I couldn't run on Sunday, but I'd just like to say what a positive response that was to the hiccups that I read about. Thanks for putting on this race and the others that you organise. We runners depend on your commitment, and you clearly take the responsibility very seriously. I'm looking forward to running next year.

I totally agree with Marvin

It's a thin line between the organisation running smoothly and not!

Believe me I know.

Please always bear in mind that something happens the organisers don't expect, a few words of criticism, and the event folds!

this is the first time ive done this race and despite the problems i will certainly will be doing it next year.

steve