Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Master

Re: The Film Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Casablanca (1942 dir Michael Curtiz)

The Daily Telegraph suggests that this will be the best film to be shown on TV during the holiday. Well as a timeless, flawless masterpiece it will be.

Like the Mona Lisa or the Taj Mahal it suffers from an apparent over-familiarity but, like them, it needs unjaundiced eyes (and ears) to appreciate its wonders. People may remember the perfect performances of a stellar cast-Bergman, Bogart, Lorre, Veight, Greenstreet- or As Time Goes By- but a great film starts with a great script and in this case Warner Brothers paid 75% of the total fees paid to all the actors for the original play and to the script writers.

And what they got in return is one of the most quoted film scripts in cinema history and a film of perfection.
    Graham I saw it a long time ago and have forgotten most of it. Like most films though I keep a mental note of my conclusion so I can return to them later to see if I feel differently. After all the hype about Casablanca being one of the greatest films ever I was left feeling that it was just above average. Yes there are aspects of greatness in there but if the story doesn't ingnite one's passions then it just doesn't work. 'The African Queen' was a much more enjoyable film from my perspective. The lead roles starting out with contempt for one another fall in love through a difficult struggle. The expression on Bogart's face when he had to manoeuvre through the leeches was memorable. I'd give Casablanca 6/10 and The African Queen 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

I'd give Casablanca 6/10 and The African Queen 9/10.
    So would I

I would give 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' a 9.5/10. One of my favourite films and definitely my favourite Bogart film :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

"'The African Queen' was a much more enjoyable film from my perspective. The lead roles starting out with contempt for one another fall in love through a difficult struggle. The expression on Bogart's face when he had to manoeuvre through the leeches was memorable. I'd give Casablanca 6/10 and The African Queen 9/10.
    Well we won't all like the same movies but I was amused to re-read of The African Queen "...hardly the great classic it's often claimed to be. Bogart hammier than usual..."

Time Out Film Guide (which I like because the reviewers usually agree with me!)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JNc4SnXr1hA

This film is a work of Art. We went to see it yesterday, all three of us and were the only ones in the cinema, what a strange experience. It is 3d so we put on our goggles, found the best seats in the house and enjoyed. For anyone who has read the book, it does it justice, Richard Parker is awesome.

Rod :thumbup:
    'Take the Long Way Home'

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H Tool View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JNc4SnXr1hA

This film is a work of Art. We went to see it yesterday, all three of us and were the only ones in the cinema, what a strange experience. It is 3d so we put on our goggles, found the best seats in the house and enjoyed. For anyone who has read the book, it does it justice, Richard Parker is awesome.

Rod :thumbup:
    May have to go to see this, read and enjoyed the book an age ago, read it around the same time as The Lovely Bones which on first viewing didn't think did justice to the book, watched this again the other week and enjoyed it, probably because the memory of the book has faded.

I saw Life of Pi yesterday and visually it was utterly stunning. It may be the best use of 3D in a film I've seen thus far too - as with the Hobbit it now looks like film directors are finally starting to use 3D far more subtly and cleverly, rather that just throwing things at you out of the screen. I haven't read the book so can't comment on the way the story was told in that but it was especially well done in the film with a great cast. Richard Parker acted his stripes off

I saw Life of Pi with Stolly and have read the book. It is a brilliant film and does the book justice I reckon. I just can't get over how lifelike Richard Parker is. Totally amazing effects and visually stunning. I was having flashbacks in my dreams last night.

On a side note, Gerard Depardieu has really gone to seed!! He made a great evil chef though.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

The Hobbit = WOW
    Last film I saw at the cinema was Avatar.. So glad I went to see this earlier.
    :thumbup:
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Blade Runner

After 30 years I thought I ought to take a look at Blade Runner (The Director’s Cut) which Time Out describes as a master piece and David Thomson rates highly.

On the other hand Monthly Film Bulletin felt it had a “narrative so limp as to be in need of a wheelchair”.

Quite.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".