Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I followed the tourist path and saw no grass whatsoever! It was a rocky and slow descent. I take it there is a better route round the back?
    From an earlier post:

"You don't actually need to go over the very tops of Esk Pike - after those two horizontal rock shelves and just as that steep narrow gully leading to the top comes into view on the left there is a grassy trod on the right that is quite runnable and joins the rocky tourist path as it starts to descend - again this descent is almost runnable and much less steep/rough than the descent off Bowfell. And it leaves you fresh for the ascent from Ore Gap."

I agree the normal tourist path is longer time wise and unpleasantly and relentlessly rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    From an earlier post:

"You don't actually need to go over the very tops of Esk Pike - after those two horizontal rock shelves and just as that steep narrow gully leading to the top comes into view on the left there is a grassy trod on the right that is quite runnable and joins the rocky tourist path as it starts to descend - again this descent is almost runnable and much less steep/rough than the descent off Bowfell. And it leaves you fresh for the ascent from Ore Gap."

I agree the normal tourist path is longer time wise and unpleasantly and relentlessly rocky.
    So, just to confirm, after the false summit when the step to the true summit is in view, go right round the back of the summit? I recall it looking a bit like a 2 tier cake, with the shelf of the first tier accessible to go round the top tier. Is that correct?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Martcrag Moor is going to be a bit damp tomorrow ...similarly, the descent off Blisco.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    So, just to confirm, after the false summit when the step to the true summit is in view, go right round the back of the summit? I recall it looking a bit like a 2 tier cake, with the shelf of the first tier accessible to go round the top tier. Is that correct?
    Missed this - but that sounds about right - instead of going up to the summit, go around below and to the right of it.

Master
    I see the trod under Esk Pike claimed another victim in the Langdale race - a fractured wrist.

Around 57 DNF'd - so clearly a very tough day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I see the trod under Esk Pike claimed another victim in the Langdale race - a fractured wrist.
    Yes. No less than this years English and British Women's Fell Running Champion.

These things happen to the best!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

It was a wild one. Could have been anywhere for most of it! Donated my spare thermal to Nic. Crinkles Marshall was (understandably in the conditions) in a col 100m away - but this wasn't much succor to the runners who found (eventually or otherwise) the actual summit and didn't know where the marshal was.

On a separate point - amazing how many people were in tracing paper waterproofs, didn't have an extra layer, and resolutely kept their map and compass in their bum bag. I was in my warmer jacket and glad Nic had people with her so I could keep moving. I did my waiting with a casualty at Fairfield when it was altogether much nicer to be waiting around!

I used to live for conditions like that but I'm struggling to get back into them. Did eventually resolve that it was type 2 fun, though I would normally have found them type 1. Seem to be carrying some anxiety around racing at the moment.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

So what happened? Did it rain?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Ba-ba I think you went past me 3 times overall (though once was after you stopped to help Nichola Jackson), before you disappeared into the distance coming off pike o blisco.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post

On a separate point - amazing how many people were in tracing paper waterproofs, didn't have an extra layer, and resolutely kept their map and compass in their bum bag. I was in my warmer jacket and glad Nic had people with her so I could keep moving. I did my waiting with a casualty at Fairfield when it was altogether much nicer to be waiting around!
    a regular topic of conversation on the First Aid course, they scrimp on silly waterproofs but drink 3 pint and have a curry the night before!

it reminds me of an Edale sky line a number of year back when it poured down, really windy..I had a group of school kids out on a DofE, lots of kit on and had a fun time.

I think 40% of the top elite 30 dropped out cold and wet by half way, yet at the back of the race runners were coming in at 5 hours happy as larry in full goretex and fleeces. why would you risk your life to save 200grms of a thicker jacket