Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BGR reccying w/out car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BGR reccying w/out car

Strikes me if you're on your own and want to reccy whole BGR legs, a car could be a hindrance. I'm talking CW 2, 3 and 4 here.

This got me to thinking that I might either figure out bus return journeys - or stay the night at the far end, i.e., start Keswick/Threlkeld, stay night near Dunmail; start Dunmail, stay night at Wasdale, etc.

It would obviously mean carrying a rucksack with minimal gear for an overnight pub/YHA stay, but I'd've thought reccying with a rucksack on your back is damned good training.

Aiming eventually to do 3 and 4 in one go?

anyone else done it this way?

Re: BGR reccying w/out car

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Strikes me if you're on your own and want to reccy whole BGR legs, a car could be a hindrance. I'm talking CW 2, 3 and 4 here.

This got me to thinking that I might either figure out bus return journeys - or stay the night at the far end, i.e., start Keswick/Threlkeld, stay night near Dunmail; start Dunmail, stay night at Wasdale, etc.

It would obviously mean carrying a rucksack with minimal gear for an overnight pub/YHA stay, but I'd've thought reccying with a rucksack on your back is damned good training.

Aiming eventually to do 3 and 4 in one go?

anyone else done it this way?
    I wouldn't say its a hindrance but it is easy to recce without a car.

Leg 1 CW run back to Keswick along the old railway line.

Leg 2 Bus to Threlkeld then either do leg 2 then reverse it missing out the tops or get the bus back from Dunmail.

Leg 3 Bus to Dunmail then from Wasdale back over Styhead to get the bus from Seatoller.

Leg 4 Bus to Honister, Moses trod into Wasdale back to Honister then either Bus here and drop down to more regular bus from Seatoller or do last leg back to Keswick.
    Alternative start is bus to Seatoller and over Styhead to Wasdale.

Leg 5 Bus to Honister
    Bill

good stuff bill, ta

was thinking that when I get to the stage of combining a couple of legs into long days (2 and 3, or 3 and 4), I might be too late for buses and then will have to hole up somewhere instead.

Put your faith in your thumb.

Hitching has got me out of some spots in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by kevspider View Post
    Put your faith in your thumb.

Hitching has got me out of some spots in the past.
    you're absolutely right Kev, me too - keep forgetting about that!

I'm planning on a doing a full recce over 2 to 3 days carrying tent, food, s-bag, ration packs the lot towards the arse end of the year.

Good practice as I'm intending to do the full thing carrying everything with me, no pit-stops.

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    I'm planning on a doing a full recce over 2 to 3 days carrying tent, food, s-bag, ration packs the lot towards the arse end of the year.

Good practice as I'm intending to do the full thing carrying everything with me, no pit-stops.
    You'll need to do some good recceing of water sources to make this work, I know it has been done, good work if you do it. Just remember thought it won't make you a memeber of the club as you have no witnesses

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    You'll need to do some good recceing of water sources to make this work, I know it has been done, good work if you do it. Just remember thought it won't make you a memeber of the club as you have no witnesses
    Hehe, I intend to rope someone else into doing it with me, or a couple more!

A bit of careful water planning will be in order yes!

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post

Have just sorted out an Easter recce of the whole route:

Day 1: Keswick / Threlkeld to Dunmail - stay at Grasmere YHA
    Day 2: Dunmail to Scafell - stay at Eskdale YHA
    Day 3: Scafell to Honister / Keswick

(Legs 1 and/or 5 optional if weather's terrible.)

Should be good practice with a bit of a pack on the back. Reckon I can get away with my OMM 20L.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Have just sorted out an Easter recce of the whole route:

Day 1: Keswick / Threlkeld to Dunmail - stay at Grasmere YHA
    Day 2: Dunmail to Scafell - stay at Eskdale YHA
    Day 3: Scafell to Honister / Keswick

(Legs 1 and/or 5 optional if weather's terrible.)

Should be good practice with a bit of a pack on the back. Reckon I can get away with my OMM 20L.
    If i can sort out train and bus logistics i may join you on one of the days, unless you aim to do the recces solo then thats reet!