Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jnc

Banned

Re: Jnc

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    I am also planning an attempt on the JNC this year. As you would expect I really am set on getting round under the 12 hour limit for a V50, but know for me its going to be my biggest challenge on the fells todate. I have never had a problem with time out on my feet but up to now have lacked fell speed.

Can I draw any comparisons with long distance fell race times?

I have entered the E Dale Sky line and will run the long Mynd valleys.
    What sort of time do I need to run in these two events if I am to have a fighting chance of getting round the JNC in under 12 hours?

I havent started recceing yet would be grateful on any short cut tips..
    Let me know if you fancy doing some recces.
    The 12hr time for V50's is from all accounts very fast compared to a BG.

Yes I will keep in touch. I plan to start trips to the Lakes end of Feb early March.

Yes I have been told to not compare JNC to the BGR to much. It more like a long fell race such as the old county tops. I was very slow on that last year so have a lot of work to do to improve my speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35Vq7WcOPg
    Check wharfees vid that should get ya int mood
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35Vq7WcOPg
    Check wharfees vid that should get ya int mood
    Is it a look-a-like or was that our very own will marsh supporting on one of the legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    Let me know if you fancy doing some recces.
    The 12hr time for V50's is from all accounts very fast compared to a BG.
    The first leg was near race pace I really struggled to keep up. The last 10 miles were a doddle though

I do think that the schedule was heavily weighted towards the firds half

Can I draw any comparisons with long distance fell race times?

I have entered the E Dale Sky line and will run the long Mynd valleys.
    What sort of time do I need to run in these two events if I am to have a fighting chance of getting round the JNC in under 12 hours?
    I don't know if it helps, but I did Edale Skyline last year in 3hr 21min, including injuring my ankle ligament coming off Win Hill. This really messed up my training and I finished my JNC in 12hr 3min. Bugger - maybe I should have started at the bottom of the first fell rather than the bridge!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I don't know if it helps, but I did Edale Skyline last year in 3hr 21min, including injuring my ankle ligament coming off Win Hill. This really messed up my training and I finished my JNC in 12hr 3min. Bugger - maybe I should have started at the bottom of the first fell rather than the bridge!!!
    Bloody Hell Geoff I didnt realise you just missed out by just 3 mins,
    Next time eh
    I guess using a quad bike for 1st sections out of the question then

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Thanks Geoff, I was hoping you would reply. knowing that you are such a strong fell runner, I followed your progress last year with interest as I was 50 in August and have been wondering if 12 hours for JNC was possible for me to acheive. you passed me on the mountain trial like i was standing still so I know i have serious ground to make up and your time at E dale makes a serious target for me.

What was the weather like on your attempt?

Had a great day out with Geoff on his JNC and also a very interesting recce over a very wintry High Street and Red Screes.Schedule was notably quicker than BG. Luckily I have a couple of years to get some training in.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Thanks Geoff, I was hoping you would reply. knowing that you are such a strong fell runner, I followed your progress last year with interest as I was 50 in August and have been wondering if 12 hours for JNC was possible for me to acheive. you passed me on the mountain trial like i was standing still so I know i have serious ground to make up and your time at E dale makes a serious target for me.

What was the weather like on your attempt?
    The weather up to Kirkstone was pretty good, then it deteriorated somewhat. My JNC partner, Ian, has written a good report of our run which you can read here - http://www.penninefellrunners.co.uk/reports.htm
    I'm not sure if my Edale time means much. As I said I missed loads of training through April, and my ankle was still pretty bad when we did the JNC in May. In fact the physio strapped it for me just so I could get through the day.

Actually it may be of more use the fact that come July I did Wasdale in 4hr 45min whereas Ian did it in 5hr 43min. So maybe race results don't mean that much!

Good luck to anyone who has a crack this year. I think the best advice I can give (apart from not getting injured!) is to make sure you get a few 12 hour runs in before your attempt.

Oh yes, and remember only 1 other person, besides Ian, did it in under 12 hours last year. It's not easy!