Page 1661 of 1699 FirstFirst ... 6611161156116111651165916601661166216631671 ... LastLast
Results 16,601 to 16,610 of 16986

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I don't believe so. When I started, I was putting probably half my weight on the trolley. Even if I could have put this load through my arms, I'd have had to concentrate on co-ordinating them and my leg that I'm struggling to co-ordinate.

I think I'm about through the running-with-a-shopping-trolley stage, now I have found a hill steep enough to use a running-up-stairs type of action.
    It’s great that you’ve found a solution, I think the hardest part of recovery is being patient and taking things easy, I actually dreamt that I was running last night and that loads of folk were passing me didn’t change todays run through, I’m just concentrating on running the full distance of any run at a steady pace without using road crossings as a reason to pause for far too long

Went down to the track session tonight.... however had no intention of doing the session 3 x (1km, 50mtrs jog, 150mtrs)

Instead did the warmup, some drills, 6 x 100mtr quality strides, a good stretch, then warm down.

Gave me 9.5 miles for the evening, and will be my only bit of quality work all week before sunday.

Heading to Weardale tomorrow and will do a full recce of the Chapelfell Top race route in the evening.

As well as the small matter of the champs race today, i had a little jog round above Weardale as well... heading up to the cairn on top of Middlehope Moor.... surely one of the least-visited summit trigs in the country.... no paths, no signs that anyone had been up there for a while... and absolutely no surpsise in this weather.

73.5 miles for the week.... very pleasing to keep the mileage up whilst still feeling like i tapered well for today's race... felt pretty fresh today and incredibly comfortable going uphill.

Next race is Sedbergh Hills in 4 weeks, which will be my final pure fell race of the year (or at least until the xmas week anyway).... so next week will be a case of recovering from today and starting to get back to hard work towards the back end of the week.

Currently averaging 68.75 miles per week, which is very slightly down on last year's 69mpw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    It’s great that you’ve found a solution, I think the hardest part of recovery is being patient and taking things easy, I actually dreamt that I was running last night and that loads of folk were passing me didn’t change todays run through, I’m just concentrating on running the full distance of any run at a steady pace without using road crossings as a reason to pause for far too long
    After three reps up a very short 1 in 8 hill, and my leg feeling slightly less alien to me than last time, I tried something different. Starting from a very fast walk I transitioned into something that might, optimistically, be described as running on a shallow hill (circa 1 in 15) on beautiful, short, soft wet grass. I even managed my first bend, with a radius of around 25m.

Still a long way to go, but at least my leg is starting to feel more normal. And for those who like the figures, I probably totalled around 400m

Back to proper training last night.

A track session on a very warm evening, 26deg as the session started.

10 x 300mtrs, with 100mtrs jog recoveries.

My target set by the coach was 53secs, which i've (just about) managed earlier in the summer, although not quite being 100% recovered from sunday, i thought might be a stiff task.

53, 54, 53, 54, 54, 54, 53, 56, 58, 56

Was pretty pleased to get 7 reps in consistently, and then to stage a mini-fightback on the final rep, when everything was telling me to jack the session in and have a lie down instead.

I kept a vague eye on my heart rate during the recoveries.... for the first 5 reps i was easily in aerobic zone.... but between the 5th-7th rep there was a massive jump and was unable to recover sufficiently during the short recovery period.... so it was no surprise that it was only a matter of time before my legs succumbed to the lactic build up.

10 miles for the session, and 4 easy miles AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Back to proper training last night.

A track session on a very warm evening, 26deg as the session started.

10 x 300mtrs, with 100mtrs jog recoveries.

My target set by the coach was 53secs, which i've (just about) managed earlier in the summer, although not quite being 100% recovered from sunday, i thought might be a stiff task.

53, 54, 53, 54, 54, 54, 53, 56, 58, 56
    Whilst I can't compete with training of this quality, I actually managed to produce some running this afternoon that might possibly/maybe qualify for the bottom end of training.

After 3 x 100m (approx) on long, soft, grass produced times of 31-33 secs, I thought I'd finish with something in the region of 400m - and this is how Garmin Connect recorded it.

Nowhere near what I used to do, but I blame the 13ft of ascent!

15.5 miles today at approx 7:20/mile pace.

Rounds off the week with a satisfactory 77.5 miles.

Be surprised if i get near that next week as i'll be losing at least one full day next weekend due to family stuff.

Grass session last night....

8 x 1 minutes, with 3 minute recoveries.

The 1 minute reps were 30secs quality, 20secs harder, 10secs sprint.

The difference between quality and hard for me was at least visible to those watching, but my upgrade from hard to sprint was barely noticeable, even to me.

But a good session and 9.5 miles down, on top of 4 miles AM.

400mtr reps on thursday at the track.

Due to a combination of family crisis, mum's 70th birthday, and a trip to London tomorrow, had to dramatically shuffle training round this week.

This evening did my "track session" from last night.... but i did it on treadmill and converted it to a hill rep session.

The track session was 2 x (4 x 400mtr reps)

I did 2 x (4 x 90secs hard, 60secs easy) at 15% gradient, with 6mins easy between the two sets.

5 miles for the session and 11.5 miles for the day.

Hopefully get a long run of some sort in on sunday to finish the week off, somewhere between 60-70 miles.

Went out to revive one of my favourite local cross-country routes this morning.... at least a couple of years since i'd done the 11.5 mile route.

Unfortunately some of the local landowners appear to have used the covid period to make access to some parts as awkward as possible (as the cut on my hand from climbing a gate fastened shut with barbed wire is just one example)..... and the late-summer date meant it was far more overgrown than i remember.

Eventually gave up after about 4 miles, turning round and reversing the route to finish with 8 miles for my "long run" for the week.

Weekly total 62 miles.

Its been about as far from a textbook week as it can possibly be.... some family issues, missing various sessions during the week, missing an entire day yesterday, and today's disjointed efforts.... so really i'm quite pleased to have clocked up 62 miles.

A fortnight until Sedbergh Hills, i think i'm going to struggle to maintain my usual championship race position, but hopefully i'm still strong enough for a decent pb.