Page 1663 of 1699 FirstFirst ... 6631163156316131653166116621663166416651673 ... LastLast
Results 16,621 to 16,630 of 16986

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Buck Hill and Beacon Hill, in 60m35s; which is quite remarkable, because it is several years since I last went sub-60 (or even this close to 60 minutes) on this route. I'm not sure what brought this on, although ground conditions were close to perfect, including some nice nettles to encourage me to run faster.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    One of Josh Kerr's recent training sessions - from Athletics Weekly:

8x400m (90sec recovery) in 54.8 average with four minutes recovery between the fourth and fifth reps.

Simple but effective. He raced so well, and just refused to give up in the final straight.

That's so quick for 400 reps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That's so quick for 400 reps.
    Yes, very quick, just a bit faster than world record pace for the mile.

Simple does not mean easy!

Years ago I went to a talk on endurance training by a top coach in Cambridge - he was constantly being asked for his "secret" sessions - he had none that he would admit to, he was all for simplifying speed sessions and just performing them well. And the more they looked like the event the athlete was training for the better.

This evenings RATRun was from the Wheatsheaf in Baslow. Only three of us and Moss the dog rescued from Qatar! Why do we allow these dogs to be brought in from overseas when our rescue kennels are bursting at the seams with dogs that need a home?

Into Chatsworth Park via the Cannons Gate and over to Jumble Coppice past herds of Red and Fallow Deer enjoying the evening sunshine. Up to the Robin Hood where we crossed the A619 and the steady pull to Gardoms Edge. Along the edge and down to Clod Hall Lane crossroads. Up through the beautiful purple heather to Birchens Edge and its TP. Past Nelsons Monument and the huge gritstone boulders known as the Three Ships before back down to the Robin Hood.

Over the A623 again, along Dob Edge and back into Chatsworth Park towards the Hunting Tower where we turned right, down through the woods and across the parkland, no Deer to be seen, to the Cannons Gate and The Wheatsheaf.

A lovely evening run of 7.5 miles, 1,001 feet in 1hr 12 min. We all had to get away earlier than usual so no chips but just a pint of Boon Doggle Blonde Ale, 4.2% from Ringwood Brewery.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 25-08-2023 at 08:15 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

An unfamiliar few weeks ahead for me....

After the eventual non-event for me that was Sedbergh Hills, i still kept to the plan of having an easy week this week..... however my training group is now on a further couple of weeks break now that the track season has finished, to recover and then begin to prepare for the XC season....

Upshot of that is i'm training solo until 3rd week in September now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

After the eventual non-event for me that was Sedbergh Hills ....
    Why no Sedbergh Hills Travs? I did look for you in the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Why no Sedbergh Hills Travs? I did look for you in the results.
    I was just a bit unwell.... for a short race i'd risk it, but for somewhere near 3hrs for me that would probably then knock me back for about a week.... so considering i was not doing much points-wise this year, i dropped it.

As it was, i've been pretty much able to resume normal mileage after just a couple of days off.

Shame, as i heard weather conditions were perfect and i reckon a big pb would've been on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Yes, very quick, just a bit faster than world record pace for the mile.

Simple does not mean easy!

Years ago I went to a talk on endurance training by a top coach in Cambridge - he was constantly being asked for his "secret" sessions - he had none that he would admit to, he was all for simplifying speed sessions and just performing them well. And the more they looked like the event the athlete was training for the better.
    Reminds me of Po the Kung Fu Pandas dad, who bizarrely was a duck, and told his customers his soup contained a secret ingredient that made it better than any other soup. There was no secret ingredient and there rarely is in anything. I'm a big believer in the Taoist principle of emptying ones cup.

13 miles easy today.

Hardest part about long easy runs, is actually keeping them easy, especially when you're feeling in good shape.

After a stuttering start to the week, finished off with 57.5 miles.

Next week vaguely planning some mile reps for tuesday night, and hopefully a parkrun next weekend.