Page 1677 of 1699 FirstFirst ... 6771177157716271667167516761677167816791687 ... LastLast
Results 16,761 to 16,770 of 16986

Thread: Today's Training

Another trip out of Teesdale today, and headed for Tebay to run the fell race route.

8.3 miles, 2,989 feet, 2hrs 16 mins.

It has been a while since I came this way, and all the way around today I had the dread of that final climb from the beck up to Blease fell on my mind. As it was, while causing the usual amount of huff and pain (of the good sort!), I seemed to reach the summit quicker than I remembered. Nothing to do with my speed, obviously (!), but perhaps when we magnify issues in our mind, the reality then appears so much..erm...'softer'. The run from Blease fell back to Tebay, is of course blissful, once my legs had got over the physical shock for the previous climb and remembered how to shake themselves into a running gait again.

It's a shame that for the most part of the route the roar of traffic on the M6 spoils what would otherwise be a pleasant outing. At least midway, around Black Force (the pretty part of the route) the wind was sufficiently strong as to temporary obscure traffic noise.

A friend of mine has just moved to Tebay, and we discovered that amongst its many charm it also has 5G - who'd have thought! Tebay, so well connected on all front
    Am Yisrael Chai

Another trip out of Teesdale today, and headed for Tebay to run the fell race route.

It has been a while since I came this way, and all the way around today I had the dread of that final climb from the beck up to Blease fell on my mind. As it was, while causing the usual amount of huff and pain (of the good sort!), I seemed to reach the summit quicker than I remembered. Nothing to do with my speed, obviously (!), but perhaps when we magnify issues in our mind, the reality then appears so much..erm...'softer'. The run from Blease fell back to Tebay, is of course blissful, once my legs had got over the physical shock for the previous climb and remembered how to shake themselves into a running gait again.

It's a shame that for the most part of the route the roar of traffic on the M6 spoils what would otherwise be a pleasant outing. At least midway, around Black Force (the pretty part of the route) the wind was sufficiently strong as to temporary obscure traffic noise.

A friend of mine has just moved to Tebay, and we discovered that amongst its many charm it also has 5G - who'd have thought! Tebay, so well connected on all front
    Am Yisrael Chai

DEFINITELY NOT A DUPLICATE POST MR MODERATOR

Am Yisrael Chai

I was in Mid Wales last weekend and gave the local Llani Tinsel Run a go. It is a 6 mile, 1100 feet loop which starts and finishes outside the Royal Oak in Shortbridge St. After an initial half mile of tarmac to get out of town it is all off road, mainly on saturated farmland!

Up Y Fan road and then over Pen Rallt, across the golf course and down to Y Fan. Up behind The Garth to the Clywedog Dam road and then down into The Glyn. Over the River Clywedog, up the other side and then back via Summerfield to The Royal Oak.

Only 44 entrants, but a few decent looking runners. Two young lads set off like rockets at the start but I trailed a group of three a short distance behind but never losing sight of them. I dropped the two I was with on the second hill but was joined by another runner who stayed with me as we reeled in the two young lads, when the inevitable happened and they blew up on the third climb.

I led for a short time but lost the lead when it flattened out. This other runner twice went wrong ahead of me but I shouted to him on both occasions to get him back on track. I tried to stay with him but on the last tarmac downhill stretch he burned me off and I finished 2nd, 13 seconds in arrears in 49.06.

Whilst in Llanidloes I noticed that the Christmas Decorations looked fantastic this year and were of a high quality. The best I've seen. Enquiring as to how they were funded it turns out they cost £40,000 and were "donated" to the Town Council by a company in the Windfarm business.

Surprise, Surprise, the same company have a planning application in the pipeline for a new Windfarm on a local hill!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 20-12-2023 at 11:52 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Yesterday afternoon I took advantage of the sun appearing and had an lovely flat run on the High Peak/Tissington trails from Hurdlow to Hartington Station and back. Perhaps it was the cold WNW wind but I was surprised how few people were out. 4 dog walkers, 1 cyclist, 1 runner and 6 Peak Park workers who were chopping down trees adjacent to the trail.

8 miles,61 feet in 1hr 2min.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I was in Mid Wales last weekend and gave the local Llani Tinsel Run a go. It is a 6 mile, 1100 feet loop which starts and finishes outside the Royal Oak in Shortbridge St. After an initial half mile of tarmac to get out of town it is all off road, mainly on saturated farmland!

Up Y Fan road and then over Pen Rallt, across the golf course and down to Y Fan. Up behind The Garth to the Clywedog Dam road and then down into The Glyn. Over the River Clywedog, up the other side and then back via Summerfield to The Royal Oak.

Only 44 entrants, but a few decent looking runners. Two young lads set off like rockets at the start but I trailed a group of three a short distance behind but never losing sight of them. I dropped the two I was with on the second hill but was joined by another runner who stayed with me as we reeled in the two young lads, when the inevitable happened and they blew up on the third climb.

I led for a short time but lost the lead when it flattened out. This other runner twice went wrong ahead of me but I shouted to him on both occasions to get him back on track. I tried to stay with him but on the last tarmac downhill stretch he burned me off and I finished 2nd, 13 seconds in arrears in 49.06.

Whilst in Llanidloes I noticed that the Christmas Decorations looked fantastic this year and were of a high quality. The best I've seen. Enquiring as to how they were funded it turns out they cost £40,000 and were "donated" to the Town Council by a company in the Windfarm business.

Surprise, Surprise, the same company have a planning application in the pipeline for a new Windfarm on a local hill!
    I could only ever dream of a 'podium finish'. Well done lad.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Good result, keep training hard. It helps to be good uphill in fell running, that's where I fall down.

Yesterday evenings RATRun was a wild, wet and windy jaunt from The Lathkil Hotel. Only 5 of us set off down into the relative shelter of Lathkill Dale but once we climbed out at Mill Farm we were back into the hooley. Across saturated fields initially on rights of way and then a trespass across more farmland to the TP at Bole Hill. The TP has been removed, presumably by the farmer, and dumped against a wall around 20yards from its rightful spot. It is quite sad to see it laid on its side and it can be seen on the OS aerial map.

More saturated trespassing to the back of Dirtlow Farm where we picked up a right of way through the farmyard and down to the road. Half a mile of tarmac to the top of Crowhill Lane and them more muddy fields, up Ditch Cliff and back to Over Haddon and the Lathkil.

Just over 7 miles, 950 feet in 1hr 7min. Once in the pub delicious Turkey, Cranberry and Stuffing Cobs and Chips were washed down with New Dawn 3.9% from Navigation Brewery based at Trent Bridge, Nottingham.
    New Dawn has been the one regular beer on in the Lathkil for over a year and is a favourite of many, including me. Sadly the Navigation Brewery is going to close next year after 12 years, citing an increase in electricity and water costs.

The last RATRun of 2023, next Thursday, will be in daylight as folk are still on holiday so a steady 15 miles around The Roaches is planned.

Wishing all who read this a Happy Christmas

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I am normally very careful about not leaving litter on my runs, but today I left the sole (and soul) of a Walsh PB Trainer somewhere on my route over Buck Hill and the Outwoods. I had started to notice that my left foot was feeling every stone on the path a little less than halfway round the route, but I was nearly back home before I looked down and realised how badly the shoe had disintegrated.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A pitiful haul of training miles this week.... due to a combination of factors, including a bit of romance (which i expect won't last long before she figures out i'm a running-obsessed freak).

Next week i'm looking to pull a decent total. Will get some solid miles in the next few days, club training thursday, and the Jubilee Plunge on sunday.

Likely to end my 2023 miles per week somewhere in the mid-high 60's, which will be a couple of mpw down on 2022.
    Last edited by Travs; 24-12-2023 at 04:24 PM.