Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nike Red Rocks ii

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Nike Red Rocks ii

Bought an impulse buy pair of these yesterday in Abingdon to use at the peaks, anyone used these, thoughts comments?
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Re: Nike Red Rocks ii

They are very similar to the nike air alvords an agressive trail shoe with a fair bit of cushioning for harder tracks and road, got a descent tread as well for the descents sounds like a good shoe choice. The only down fall i found with the nike Alvords is that they become extremley heavey when wet much worse than the mudclaw 330 http://www.completerunner-online.com...roducts_id=496 the alvords
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    They are very similar to the nike air alvords an agressive trail shoe with a fair bit of cushioning for harder tracks and road, got a descent tread as well for the descents sounds like a good shoe choice. The only down fall i found with the nike Alvords is that they become extremley heavey when wet much worse than the mudclaw 330 http://www.completerunner-online.com...roducts_id=496 the alvords
    Thank you scott, this pair have a label advertising H20 repel, which I assume hyas something to do with the wicking. Am off for a jog in a bit and will let you know how they perform. They certainly seem to be sold cheaply which may or may not be a good thing.

They look a bit like the Air Zoom Trail which I used to love but cannot get hold of anymore. Be interested to see what you think. Have they got sticky rubber soles?

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    I started fell running in my Alvords before getting some Walshes, they are the most cushioned trainer i've ever come accross and very heavy when wet. I was constantly slipping in them on descents which is the main reason i now wear them for work, but as an aggressive trail shoe i'd happily recommend them to anyone. The studs seemed to wear out fairly quickly too but that suggest they'd be good on wet rock to me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Just done 8 miles off road, shoes felt comfortable - L shoe was a little tight at first but I rearranged the lacing and they were fine. They seem comfortable and cushioned on hard surfaces which is what I am after, they are bit unstable on grass like any cushioned shoes compared to say flyrocs. The grip on dry stone, rock and mud trail seems better than the new balance shoes they replaced though not quite as cushioned and they also have better grip than roclite 315's but not wave harriers or flyrocs, though with the limited running i have done there is not much in it so far, wet and mud will be a better test. They did get doused in a stream though the water went straight through it seemed to drain away immediately and did not feel heavy or uncomfortable.

The shoes I have are a similar blue to the early flyrocs with a yellow tick, though looking on the web the colour of most models is greyish so not sure I have a new model or old stock, sole looks the same on both models. Sole also does not look that pronounced till you get them dirty then you can see how pronounced the lugs are.

Still not sure why they are so cheap, web prices range from £39.00 to £50.00 or so, I paid £45 in a proper running shop inc club discount. Anyone know why they are priced so competitively
    Last edited by Antisocial; 18-04-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post

Still not sure why they are so cheap, web prices range from £39.00 to £50.00 or so, I paid £45 in a proper running shop inc club discount. Anyone know why they are priced so competitively
    Two very simple reasons:

The first being as far as nike are concerned the technology and materials that go into this shoe are at the bottom of there ladder therefore allowing an rrp of £54.95
    The second being that supply has simply exceeded demand in the uk. As a result many stores are offered the shoes at a reduced cost, and those that can buy in bulk at vastly reduced prices and therefore bringing the final cost to the consumer down.

I am however surprised at your choice A.S. I thought you'd always be one for taking the moral high ground and as a result would stay very clear of nike?
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Two very simple reasons:

The first being as far as nike are concerned the technology and materials that go into this shoe are at the bottom of there ladder therefore allowing an rrp of £54.95
    The second being that supply has simply exceeded demand in the uk. As a result many stores are offered the shoes at a reduced cost, and those that can buy in bulk at vastly reduced prices and therefore bringing the final cost to the consumer down.

I am however surprised at your choice A.S. I thought you'd always be one for taking the moral high ground and as a result would stay very clear of nike?
    Just seen this,I usually take the moral opposite ground - they were an impulse buy to meet a need.

I am afraid I am not up to speed with the issues around Nike or similar, I am assuming they are to do being exploitative - happy to be enlightened. Oh and I now know what a Hipster is.

mentioned how I got on on a previous thread in ppp with these

To repeat they were very good, I don't think the main fell brands Inov/walsh etc have a cushioned shoe to match, I got a blister but I think that was sock related. Very cushioned on the hard ground (but not too bouncy) but bags of grip when needed, very impressed especially given the low price and i would normally urge people to buy them. However as mentioned given concerns about Nikes employment practices am seriously debating about whether to pay future pairs or not.
    Last edited by Antisocial; 01-05-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Just found out that this shoe exists. It seems like an great shoe for trail (if you can live with the Nike brand).

There is very little info about them on the web, just that they are relly cheap. Some questions maby someone here can answer.

I found on an US site they are 8.0 oz. Thats 227 g, is that true?
    Do they have sticky rubber?
    They are not too narrow? I have wide feet and Nike says they are normal fitting.
    Will work as a winter running shoe? My Wave Harriers are a bit too thin, the cold air goes right throw them. Yes I now there are socks for that but anyway...
    Stability, is something like Wave Harriers or more like Speedcross II?
    Says "H20 Repel" on the shoe. So the wet weight is not to bad?
    Last edited by persan; 04-07-2010 at 12:34 PM.