Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master

Re: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Good post Barty, good to see those who treat mental health and those who suffer from it giving similar advice.
    Stagger I'd also recommend having a thyroid function test if one hasn't already been done to rule out any physiological cause.
    I agree with your second paragraph. The thyroid test is essential for anyone who suffers from depression. Quite often a doctor will put a person on antidepressants without performing this test.

The thyroid test measures thyroxine and thyroid stimulating hormone(TSH) levels. Be suspicious of a TSH level toward the high end of the normal range.

The normal range is just a statistical guide, to what values can be expected. It may not be normal for you. If hypothyroidism is the cause, a swift course of thyroxine will have one wondering what all the fuss was about.

Unhappy Re: Depression

you need to speak to someone, a psychotherapist or psychoanalyst, the previous posts about meds/thyroids/advice are nonsense, i work in psychology/psychiatrict services, so i know what im talking about, reassurance-advice dosent always help in the long run, as im sure you know, go to gp for a referral for therapy or approach a private therapist. good luck and if you need anymore info let me know

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    , the previous posts about meds/thyroids/advice are nonsense, i work in psychology/psychiatrict services, so i know what im talking about,
    So do i and i find the fact that you are dismissing the importance of a TFT in someone suffering from long term depression ridiculous.
    I also find the way you dismiss advice given from those who suffer from depression quite annoying.
    You'll find my post's cover simple area's that Stagger could use to help with his depression, I also state that he should speak with the team that is treating him and discuss his options and that includes ruling out any physiological cause.
    Therapy as you suggest is all well and good in the right situation, baring in mind we don't know the facts about Staggers case it may not be relevant at all. It is also worth baring in mind that therapy has a waiting list, usually a long one and Stagger may not have the money to seek a private alternative.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 05-06-2010 at 12:13 PM.

you need to speak to someone, a psychotherapist or psychoanalyst, the previous posts about meds/thyroids/advice are nonsense, i work in psychology/psychiatrict services...
    ...and yet you can't spell psychiatric. I do hope that you can assure us that you have no conflicting interests that might be biasing your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    ...and yet you can't spell psychiatric. I do hope that you can assure us that you have no conflicting interests that might be biasing your advice.
    why do i need to assure? what i say is right and has evidence to back it up, i work for the NHS so would not benefit personally from any advice, as for the spelling mistake, sounds like a .petty jibe to me, not liking what i posted earlier

Banned

Can I say THANK-YOU to all who replied.
    The advice will be very useful and I have printed most of it.
    Also
    The support form other's is great and shows in times of need what a careing and supporting bunch of folk use this forum.

Thank you again form Stagger

I have just caught up with this thread so sorry for the delay...this is a really useful link for you and others who are interested. Good luck with it stagger and I am sure in being so open you have indirectly helped many others on this thread.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depress...Treatment.aspx

ps the little video is quite good at explaining the different types of therapy available so if nothing else i would just listen to that!
    Last edited by freckle; 06-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

why do i need to assure? what i say is right and has evidence to back it up, i work for the NHS so would not benefit personally from any advice, as for the spelling mistake, sounds like a .petty jibe to me, not liking what i posted earlier
    No response to my posts Egor?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Don't think this is a thread to start squabbling on in the usual forum fashion. The initial post is serious and deserves and needs support, where possible. However, as in my Reference Guide thread, I maintain that professional help is the key. That doesn't mean that supplementary advice from those who have been or are in the same predicament has no value.
    To all sufferers - courage and strength.
    thats a fair enough point, i agree professional help is the key, personal support may offer interim help, although friends/family etc are not always detached enough to be objective, its a tough, ive worked with and seen lots of people make changes and ultimately feel better, although it does take time. Good luck Stagger, i usually cant be bothered with posting, one of the reasons i did was due to someone (Stagger) being honest about something (mental health/illness) we all come into contact with and i agree, society doesnt always welcome disscussions regarding such matters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Don't think this is a thread to start squabbling on in the usual forum fashion. The initial post is serious and deserves and needs support, where possible. However, as in my Reference Guide thread, I maintain that professional help is the key. That doesn't mean that supplementary advice from those who have been or are in the same predicament has no value.
    To all sufferers - courage and strength.

I wholeheartedly agree. Depression is a common (about 1 in 5 of us in our life time will suffer from it ) and potentially life threatening disorder and the reductionist arguments being espoused by some on this thread are very worrying.

Can I please draw people's attention to the link I posted earlier, this gives information on what depression is, the variety of treatments available (both medication and therapies) within the NHS. For people who want to know more about the evidence base for such approaches I would recommend visiting the National Institute for Clinical Evidence (NICE) website which has specific guidance on the treatment of depression, anxiety and other disorders. They go into a huge amount of detail about what the evidence is. It is unhelpful (and inaccurate) to start rubbishing one approach or another. The fact remains that like other forms of physical treatment there is not necessarily a one approach fits all and it is about finding out which is most helpful for you. The point about waiting lists is a relevant one and GPs are often in a difficult position in that they may wish their patient to have a combination of both meds and therapy but the person may have to wait longer for the therapy. There are considerable efforts being made at present to increase access to psychological therapies by training more staff. If you look at the evidence a combined approach (meds and therapy) is helpful for many people.

I think the point about thyroid difficulties is a very interesting one and I agree should perhaps be checked morre often.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depress...Treatment.aspx
    Last edited by freckle; 07-06-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land