Page 185 of 185 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185
Results 1,841 to 1,846 of 1846

Thread: Full Tour of Pendle

  1. #1841
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Well it was a bit moist, but not too cold, always good to spend time on the fells with Mr Tait. Amusing to be at our post below Big End and watch runners coming through a 10m length of a First World War battle field/rice paddy to get to us and the jaffa cakes and jelly babies. Then they had a small hill to climb - some of them said ungodly words!
    Harry from Kendal won, and yet again Keiron pulled a blinder and organised a great little funrun, with a very tasteful T shirt. Next year is the 40th running of this!
    Thanks to you and your fellow marshals. Was a good temperature for running, just about vest weather for me. Not as chilly on the tops as I was expecting. Lots of water underfoot all across the course that made it heavy going. Didn't seem to slow Harry Bolton down much though.
    Still not sure whether it's the Big End or the last mile along the road I find the toughest.

  2. #1842
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by dangilbert View Post
    Thanks to you and your fellow marshals. Was a good temperature for running, just about vest weather for me. Not as chilly on the tops as I was expecting. Lots of water underfoot all across the course that made it heavy going. Didn't seem to slow Harry Bolton down much though.
    Still not sure whether it's the Big End or the last mile along the road I find the toughest.
    In normal years the first couple of runners do run all the way up Big End. Not this year everyone walked it - so we thought it must be a harder year.
    It's very impressive to see people run Big End!

  3. #1843
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    In normal years the first couple of runners do run all the way up Big End. Not this year everyone walked it - so we thought it must be a harder year.
    It's very impressive to see people run Big End!
    Makes me feel slightly better, although I always trudge up it slowly whatever the conditions.

    It is impressive seeing how the front runners tackle the climbs and ascents and even the flat for that matter.

  4. #1844
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    There are some of us who cannot look at our 2007* Edale Skyline T-shirt without feelings of eternal gratitude towards Mr Tait.

    * the one that sorted the merely men from the super men.
    What's the story?

  5. #1845
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    What's the story?
    Year 2007 was the year there were very high winds and hail. A photograph of runners leaning into the wind to stay upright was on the cover of Ian Winterburn's first hypothermia pamphlet.

    I was well dressed for it but Dave came up to me and said "whatever you think you need to wear today you should double it". So I did. I ran in two Hellys etc.

    It was an English Champs so a serious field but 18% dnf (72 runners) including some astonishing top names. Most dropped out at Mam Tor although five got to Jacobs Ladder.

    The last finishers came in at 5-50.

    I ran round snug as a bug in a rug and was delighted with my run. As were others whom I passed Dave's advice on to.

    And I remember Dave's advice so clearly because it was a good illustration that you can always take kit off but you cannot put on what you don't have with you.

    Anyway I have the T-shirt!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-11-2023 at 04:45 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  6. #1846
    Senior Member SteveT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Novelty Rock Emporium, Hayfield
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Year 2007 was the year there were very high winds and hail. A photograph of runners leaning into the wind to stay upright was on the cover of Ian Winterburn's first hypothermia pamphlet.

    I was well dressed for it but Dave came up to me and said "whatever you think you need to wear today you should double it". So I did. I ran in two Hellys etc.

    It was an English Champs so a serious field but 18% dnf (72 runners) including some astonishing top names. Most dropped out at Mam Tor although five got to Jacobs Ladder.

    The last finishers came in at 5-50.

    I ran round snug as a bug in a rug and was delighted with my run. As were others whom I passed Dave's advice on to.

    And I remember Dave's advice so clearly because it was a good illustration that you can always take kit off but you cannot put on what you don't have with you.

    Anyway I have the T-shirt!
    A memorable race - I was pretty well wrapped up but still struggled in the later stages. There is an ancient video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVfzOCq_vWE - which reflects some of the flavour, though the image quality is bad, even for 2007. The music nicely captures the relentlessness of the conditions.
    Hayfield Fell Races - https://www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/

Similar Threads

  1. Half Tour of Pendle is FULL
    By Martins Mrs in forum Races
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 21-02-2009, 11:34 AM
  2. Full Tour of Pendle-Sun 02/11
    By southernsoftie in forum Recce
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
  3. Full tour pendle 8th november
    By Darth domain in forum Recce
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
  4. Full Tour of Pendle - 19th Oct
    By emmilou in forum Recce
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 29-10-2008, 05:47 PM
  5. Full Tour of Pendle: 17th Nov
    By sideburns on the summits in forum Car Sharing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •