Page 125 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1846

Thread: Full Tour of Pendle

Re: Full Tour of Pendle

Just saw that after winning Pendle on Saturday, James Logue won our local orienteering race in Shipley on Sunday. While he was busy doing this I was wondering did I have the courage to get out of bed for a piss and face the post-race screaming muscle horror. May need to train more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Will,

Careful at the 3Ps. I'm a marathon runner (and cross country, too) by upbringing. 3P is about 6 miles longer than Pendle but there are only 2 very steep ascents on Whernside and Ingleborough, both are draining. The danger I found was in the temptation to over-do the easy running section after PyG to Ribblehead, then get tired on Whernside and get exhausted on Inglebugger.

I ran Pendle more sensibly in 3:36 than I ran 3Ps which took me a disappointing 4:45. It's worth your while looking at the Pendle results and comparing names across to the 3Ps.
    BL I'll try not too but I know I'll almost certainly overdo the running section to Ribblehead.

I should be ok with the distance. I finished Pendle sprinting near flat out ( ish ) for the last mile.

It's easily done, Will. Don't forget too that Pendle finishes with a mile of downhill road. 3Ps finishes with about 6 miles of narrow path with plenty of limestone trippy-uppy lateral ridges at just the wrong height for tired feet.

Well, a couple of days on and the carnage has subsided a little. All that remains is a slightly bruised ego and a confirmed minor calf tear, which hurts so much its actually making me nauseous.

I didn't have the best of races, but looking back I'm amazingly appreciative to have got round it, to have met some great people, and to have run in a place I've not even visited before. It hurt like hell at the time, but I'm smiling now when I think about it. A great, great day. Thanks again to all.

Looking forward to seeing some more photos and will be very interested to see those results. Chatting to a few people afterwards the general feeling was that it might have been a slightly slower race this year? Conditions were at times, awful, but I thought it was always like that at FTOP!!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by threerock View Post
    Just saw that after winning Pendle on Saturday, James Logue won our local orienteering race in Shipley on Sunday. While he was busy doing this I was wondering did I have the courage to get out of bed for a piss and face the post-race screaming muscle horror. May need to train more.
    I didn't feel too bad, did the 3 hr MMM thing in Edale and legs were a tad stiff, but I think the 6 pints of Farmers Blonde on Saturday night were more detrimental than the FTOP.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing some more photos and will be very interested to see those results. Chatting to a few people afterwards the general feeling was that it might have been a slightly slower race this year? Conditions were at times, awful, but I thought it was always like that at FTOP!!
    A few said the course was quite a bit longer this year, some change after CP1 > 2. and then again at the end. Heard the results may hvae been as much as 10 minutes slower, most I spoke to reckoned in the 5-10 minutes range.

I heard the changes are worth about 5-10 mins too, depending on your pace.

Reckon my tactical error was not to stop and put a coat on after CP 5 (and eat more food too), I got too cold on the top. Saved by Mr Tait handing out jelly babies at CP 9, then that climb warmed me back up.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 15-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.

It's easily done, Will. Don't forget too that Pendle finishes with a mile of downhill road. 3Ps finishes with about 6 miles of narrow path with plenty of limestone trippy-uppy lateral ridges at just the wrong height for tired feet.
    Yeah I walked 3P last year and that last bit was a killer so can imagine its tough running after near 20 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    Well, a couple of days on and the carnage has subsided a little. All that remains is a slightly bruised ego and a confirmed minor calf tear, which hurts so much its actually making me nauseous.

I didn't have the best of races, but looking back I'm amazingly appreciative to have got round it, to have met some great people, and to have run in a place I've not even visited before. It hurt like hell at the time, but I'm smiling now when I think about it. A great, great day. Thanks again to all.

What time did you get round it SG ?

Think I was around 3:45. Was hoping for 3:30 but considering the conditions and route changes not too unhappy with it.

I heard the changes are worth about 5-10 mins too, depending on your pace.

Reckon my tactical error was not to stop and put a coat on after CP 5 (and eat more food too), I got too cold on the top. Saved by Mr Tait handing out jelly babies at CP 9, then that climb warmed me back up.
    The food issue worked for me at this race - I found that the unrunnable sections where you just have to chip away at the hill were good opportunities to get down a bar or a gel and make sure that I was fully topped up with fluids. I wasn't really running them so it was good to focus on something else! I also drank more on this race than I have on other longer ones I've run, purposely to try and avoid my inevitable calf cramps. The stream at CP7 was a godsend in that regard. The cramp did hit at CP8 and just before CP10 but I was able to shake it off far easier than is usual for me. Felt the right one 'go' working up towards CP10 and that is where the tear happened I think. Hey ho. Blanked it out and picked up some decent speed down to the last checkpoint and then had a fairly comfortable run in. Although it was a fairly uncomfortable drive home!!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.