Page 145 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1846

Thread: Full Tour of Pendle

Re: Full Tour of Pendle

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Good luck to all today, see you all on the start line!
    419 days its taken me to get there, so hope the checkpoint is still open xxx
    Well done Steve, Hope the legs feels good. A truely monumental effort after the disaster in the lakes. Inspirational stuff. I'll never blieve any one from now on if they say some thing can't be done. Sorry I didn't see you in, Would have loved to have shaken you by the hand, Might even have given you a hug...

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Nice to see so many friendly faces.
    Can't recall seeing so many forumites & friends in one race, every time I turned round there was some one else, usually Stagger, he was every where. brilliant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    What a fantastic race - a monster! Thanks to Kieran and the team for a superb job and thanks for the good company. Really lucky with the weather. It would be a real beast on a bad day.
    absolutely you can't say more than it really is a TOP race...

it felt fast today, no map was needed, only used the compass once on the final descent to check I was following the best line. tired cramped legs but still managed to sprint in to pass Glen. sweat, hard work, mammoth climbs and views that went on forever . I still think this is the race to do out side of the peak.

well done every one and well done to Kieran and his team.

what a fantastic day! superb weather, helpful marshals, even managed sub 4 hours for my first tour of Pendle (3.48 - absolutely delighted). Took the trod to the right of geronimo as advised and was a great route - cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

tired cramped legs but still managed to sprint in to pass Glen.
    4 seconds Ian!!! :w00t: felt i could reach out and grab you but i was spent!

Thanks to the organisers, great event! and the weather gods. My first outing. Will surely be back.

Does anyone reckon today was the warmest TOP on record?

“2009 was the year I moved CP1 to the site shown on the attached sketch, “CP1 mods”. I had not thought about people taking a direct line across Barley Moor to the new location, the whole reason for moving CP1 was to keep people off it because of erosion, the whole area is a big sloppy mess, a paddy field and I do not want the race creating sloppy black paths across it.

The route to be followed from the start is past the Village Hall on the farm access road past the Res and on, when you come out of the trees and can see the damn of the second Res you can also see a concrete track in front of you to the right, rising to a gate in the wall. This gate will be marshaled on race day and will be open. You pass through the gate, turn right and climb with the wall on your right. Pass through the gates at the top of the field (also marshaled) and climb to the trig point on the Big End (this is CP10). Maintaining your line carry on to the gate and stile in front of you (the original site of CP1), cross the wall here using the stile or gate then head for CP1 (the gate in the wall before the stile) on the path at approx 45deg. to the wall you have just crossed. These are established paths, stoney or firm grass.

I expect all runners to follow that route and I expect any runners who see any other runners taking the direct line across Barley Moor to make a note of their numbers and I will disqualify them, they are cheating. Can I say it any planer. The reason I moved CP1 to its new location was solely to reduce erosion and minimize evidence of our presence on the hill. There are migrating birds who spend a couple of weeks on that area of moor on their way to somewhere and also on their way back, I’ve seen bird watchers observing them. In April and May it is a sea of snow white moorland cotton. The old path from Ogden Brook to the trig point has been flagged with stone slabs to protect it. We are not the only people concerned about it. Each runner must respect it and accept responsibility to preserve this area on race day.

If you want any info on this race e-mail me: [email protected]

Kieran Carr, Race Organizer, Tour of Pendle Fell Race.”

Firstly I would like to thank Keiron for organizing another superb event, certainly always one of the highlights of the year for me.
    But I feel the need to point out the reasons why CP1 was moved in the first place, which I have highlighted above from Keirons post.
    Unfortunately due to a significant number of the field (certainly around my position in the race) deciding to take a direct line from the new CP into Ogden causing a distinct line to appear across the moor, exactly the same scenario is happening with what is also a sensitive section of moor, if these people had taken the time to study the large race map in the village hall, they would have seen the correct route highlighted in green following the wall into Ogden. Having frequent correspondence on this subject with the landowners on this part of the hill, I feel this could not only jeopardize this race but the future of other races over Pendle.
    Last edited by studmarks; 19-11-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Well done to everyone today, thoroughly enjoyed my adhoc and brief assistants role with Lost Lad at the foot of Big End, good to see so many faces, most of them smiling. Sorry not to see so many of you through but my son was getting ready for the off and it was a miracle I'd got him there in the first place, crossing marshy bogs, streams, knolls, tussocks and walls wasn't an easy job with a 7 stone 12 year old on my back!!! It'd have been easier to run the race.
    Always good to see it from the other side and be thankful I wasn't the one having to go up big end this year

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Well done Steve, Hope the legs feels good. A truely monumental effort after the disaster in the lakes. Inspirational stuff. I'll never blieve any one from now on if they say some thing can't be done. Sorry I didn't see you in, Would have loved to have shaken you by the hand, Might even have given you a hug...
    Agree Ian, chuffed for the big fella in his comeback, Mrs. Amex is doing well too. You would have hugged him.............you even threatened to kiss me:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!

What a lovely, if tough, day out in the hills. Superbly organised with a great, friendly, supportive set of marshalls. Thanks to all.
    Friends in high places.

Superb day, the Weather Gods truly smiled on us today. It was warm enough for me to get a bit dehydrated and I struggled with cramp on the run-in from CP10, but it wasn't a disaster. Well, apart from the missus beating me by two minutes .... I suppose I'll never hear the end of that

Thanks to the organisers and especially to Lost Lad for holding on to some water bottles for us at CP9 - I think that saved me! Or perhaps it was the Guinness in the Pendle Inn? Either way, it was a grand day out.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by studmarks View Post
    “2009 was the year I moved CP1 to the site shown on the attached sketch, “CP1 mods”. I had not thought about people taking a direct line across Barley Moor to the new location, the whole reason for moving CP1 was to keep people off it because of erosion, the whole area is a big sloppy mess, a paddy field and I do not want the race creating sloppy black paths across it.

The route to be followed from the start is past the Village Hall on the farm access road past the Res and on, when you come out of the trees and can see the damn of the second Res you can also see a concrete track in front of you to the right, rising to a gate in the wall. This gate will be marshaled on race day and will be open. You pass through the gate, turn right and climb with the wall on your right. Pass through the gates at the top of the field (also marshaled) and climb to the trig point on the Big End (this is CP10). Maintaining your line carry on to the gate and stile in front of you (the original site of CP1), cross the wall here using the stile or gate then head for CP1 (the gate in the wall before the stile) on the path at approx 45deg. to the wall you have just crossed. These are established paths, stoney or firm grass.

I expect all runners to follow that route and I expect any runners who see any other runners taking the direct line across Barley Moor to make a note of their numbers and I will disqualify them, they are cheating. Can I say it any planer. The reason I moved CP1 to its new location was solely to reduce erosion and minimize evidence of our presence on the hill. There are migrating birds who spend a couple of weeks on that area of moor on their way to somewhere and also on their way back, I’ve seen bird watchers observing them. In April and May it is a sea of snow white moorland cotton. The old path from Ogden Brook to the trig point has been flagged with stone slabs to protect it. We are not the only people concerned about it. Each runner must respect it and accept responsibility to preserve this area on race day.

If you want any info on this race e-mail me: [email protected]

Kieran Carr, Race Organizer, Tour of Pendle Fell Race.”

Firstly I would like to thank Keiron for organizing another superb event, certainly always one of the highlights of the year for me.
    But I feel the need to point out the reasons why CP1 was moved in the first place, which I have highlighted above from Keirons post.
    Unfortunately due to a significant number of the field (certainly around my position in the race) deciding to take a direct line from the new CP into Ogden causing a distinct line to appear across the moor, exactly the same scenario is happening with what is also a sensitive section of moor, if these people had taken the time to study the large race map in the village hall, they would have seen the correct route highlighted in green following the wall into Ogden. Having frequent correspondence on this subject with the landowners on this part of the hill, I feel this could not only jeopardize this race but the future of other races over Pendle.
    From what I know they've been taking that line for years, just that normally you can't be sure of the line for the clag. Someone on a recce in the clag ended up at Mearley Clough

If a route is compulsory it should be flagged and there was a marshall there at CP1 that could have directed everyone down the wall if that was the line to be taken.
    I was at the back end and couldn't see that anyone followed the wall.

On a recce around 3 weeks ago, that line was a track that appeared to have been left by a quad bike and I followed it on my recce.