Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speed on treadmill?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: speed on treadmill?

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    Cos my local track is grass an needs cutting! wanna stay of the hard tarmac as hurts my kneees, until grass gets cut and lighter nights tread is only choice!
    I quite like running on treadmill, not as good as outside but enjoyable
    Nope, still don't get it. I'm assuming you don't want to run in the country or hills and you just want to run fast and flat but blimey there must be a local park or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Nope, still don't get it. I'm assuming you don't want to run in the country or hills and you just want to run fast and flat but blimey there must be a local park or something?
    Stolly i do plenty of running in the country, just fancy doing some speedwork. until my local track is ready i dont fancy doing speedwork on a field as not smooth surface, can go over on ankles.Also treadmills give you accurate distance and split times. I dont mind running on them, i know not everyones cup of tea. In summertime i wont be in the gym. With work etc not always have time to run in the daylight and cant do speedwork in dark on a field. I wanna get faster in races and improve think this will help!
    Cheers

as pointed out 10 mph is 6 min miles. i do it at 2% incline that way you know your definitely not cheating from running on the flat outside. treadmills are good for giving you no recuperation time as there's no down hills and you cant just ease off if your feeling winded. that's as long as your mentally strong and don't hit the stop button.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fellrunnerreuben View Post
    as pointed out 10 mph is 6 min miles. i do it at 2% incline that way you know your definitely not cheating from running on the flat outside. treadmills are good for giving you no recuperation time as there's no down hills and you cant just ease off if your feeling winded. that's as long as your mentally strong and don't hit the stop button.
    Thanks fellrunnerben... wil try it on 2%. do you walk or slow jog inbetween reps? was gonna do or try 6 x 800m with 2 min rest inbetween

Sorted Andy

Also bear in mind that treadmills take a while to build up speed; so if for example you want to run a 5:50 mile from a standing start then you'll have to set the treadmill to a slightly higher speed. Running on a treadmill is a lot easier than on the road... I've done a 38 min 10k on a treadmill (about 3 years ago) which I would not have been able to match on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Also bear in mind that treadmills take a while to build up speed; so if for example you want to run a 5:50 mile from a standing start then you'll have to set the treadmill to a slightly higher speed. Running on a treadmill is a lot easier than on the road... I've done a 38 min 10k on a treadmill (about 3 years ago) which I would not have been able to match on the road.
    good point will bear that in mind , love to do a sub 40min, sure i do it this year

Hello chamber, I do a fair bit of speed work on the treadmill, 800's are a good idea but its almost more endurance than speed knocking out 800's at level 16/17, consider doing 12 x 400's at level 18/19, inbetween reps i press the button that takes it down to level 9, then crank it up after 30's recovery at level 9 back to level 18/19, tough tough session make sure u r warmed up first!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    Hello chamber, I do a fair bit of speed work on the treadmill, 800's are a good idea but its almost more endurance than speed knocking out 800's at level 16/17, consider doing 12 x 400's at level 18/19, inbetween reps i press the button that takes it down to level 9, then crank it up after 30's recovery at level 9 back to level 18/19, tough tough session make sure u r warmed up first!! :-)
    Bloody hell reverand, sounds tough ill give that a go tonight! was gonna do speed session tonight, sounds a killer this only 30ses rest? see if i can do 6 reps lol

i like to do a minute off and a minute on. i do one minute at 7mph to recover and one minute at ten for speed as im not that fast yet so still working on leg turnover speed and recovery.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Hi Peter (chamber34)

Your inbox is full, sort it out pal!!!

Andy.