Thread: Knee Niggle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Knee Niggle

I know there has been plenty of threads on here about knee pain and how specific each persons injuries can be but in light of some of the great feedback given i'm hoping somebody may be able to enlighted me.
    After a 6 miler to work last week I started to get some mild pain deep inside the backside of my left knee afterwards but not whilst running. The following day my knee felt stiff and was tender when i tried to straighten and lock my knee out. After a couple of days rest and night time ice packs it seemed ok and was ok on Friday for a short 30min run. Feeling all was ok i set off for a longer run on sunday but after about 50 mins my knee was tender when i tried to lock my knee out or when running downhill when stretching out but with no pain climbing. Again its stiff and a bit tender today but eases after walking about for a few mins.
    Anybody have any ideas as i'm clueless but like most people don't want to have to lay off. Time to dust the MTB off???

Master

Re: Knee Niggle

Sounds like a meniscus problem - see someone - GP or Physio - who knows something about running injuries - don't waste time - get a diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Sounds like a meniscus problem - see someone - GP or Physio - who knows something about running injuries - don't waste time - get a diagnosis.
    Cheers Mike

Hi.
    I wouldn't bother with a GP. I had a knee issues that only got bad after about 15 miles. The GP almost laughted at me when I asked for advice. He told me to stop running 15 miles.
    I went to a Physio and they got me sorted with just one visit.

Tim

[QUOTE=Tim Ruck;399036]Hi.
    I wouldn't bother with a GP. I had a knee issues that only got bad after about 15 miles. The GP almost laughted at me when I asked for advice. He told me to stop running 15 miles.

Tim[/QUOT
    TIM I have had the same thing with a climbing injury, now made an appointment for my local physio to hopefully get sorted as I am trying to get some sort of fitness for the Fairfield horseshoe this year.

[QUOTE=martmason;399059]
    Quote Originally Posted by martmason
    TIM I have had the same thing with a climbing injury, now made an appointment for my local physio to hopefully get sorted as I am trying to get some sort of fitness for the Fairfield horseshoe this year.
    Well worth doing. Hope you get it sorted.
    Tim

I would agree with this. I had a knee injury that caused problems a year later. My GP was helpful, as she is a runner herself, but she warned me that the physio she referred me to would probably not be sympathetic as I could still run 10 miles (despite the pain) and I'd be better seeing a sports physio privately. I saw both (had to wait three months for the NHS physio) and agree, sports physio was brilliant and has got me back on track. The NHS physio diagnosed the same problem but said if I could run 10 miles then I was doing ok and maybe I should take up cycling instead. To be fair, I suspect he is overloaded with work and sees many people far worse off than me but if I couldn't have afforded the sports physio, I probably wouldn't be running now and seeing as it keeps me sane and healthy and, generally, out of the doctor's surgery...it makes you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post
    Hi.

Tim

It seems the best or quickest solution is to attend a private sports physio clinic for specific personal recovery programs. Luckily I have a local practice called back to fitness which is where Karl Grey from CVFR works so they should be well practiced with these types of injuries and how they are picked up. I suppose in defense of our local gp practice they have to prioritize their patients needs and with the workload they can be forgiven to sometimes dismiss our niggles compared to some of the serious health issues they come across daily.
    Ya know the thing, in the grand scheme and all that........