Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Bloor Races

Re: jack bloor fell race may 1

Nice to see you Derby, hope the leg gets better soon, just in time for Beamsley, then you can run and drink after and not worry about driving home, nice to have a race on your doorstep.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Obviously not the best advice in the world!

and 6 mins down on last year although not all that down to navigation choice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    So it wasn't you I heard giving route advice to Antisocial then?

A one of the trustees of the Jack Bloor Fund, can I say a big thank you to all the competitors for turning out and giving us what I believe was another record field.

A big thanks also to all the helpers at the start and finish and the checkpoint marshals.

It was a beautiful evening (even if I had to rush home to recover the ladies trophy that was delivered to me back in Feb and which I had put in a safe place (one I couldn't remember until after 10 minutes or so of searching)

A great finish to the ladies race with Lizzie Adams just edging out Jo Waites by a few yards.

And, perhaps missed by quite a few of you, an emotional moment when, before the junior races prize-giving, the King family of Ilkley presented a cheque to Jack's widow Pat, one of my co-trustees, for a 4 figure sum. The money was part of the Gemma King Fund that the King family have worked so hard to raise after the death of Gemma in an accident on holiday abroad a couple of years ago.

With the profits from the race and this donation, the Fund will be able to help even more young people in pursuing outdoor activities that they otherwise might not be able to afford.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Well done the organisers and volunteers. The Jack Bloor is a really pertinent cause for fell runners.
    A splendid evening, but one or two quibbles: the Sun, it shone in my eyes all the way to the Swastika Stone; the traffic, I made my way to Ilkley via Harewood and got stuck in the Leeds-Harrogate log jam which meant I didn't get any discs (throwing them in the buckets is really satisfying); the gate latch that had to be brayed open with a rock (I blame valuable seconds lost on this incident); trying to be clever at the last control and getting enmeshed in a choss quarry whilst people I'd passed earlier romped along the near skyline laughing at me (or so I imagined); not dipping under the hour again falling on my face again (aching all over today)
    Otherwise another bludey brilliant evening on the moor. The JB may be my favourite race.
    And next year I'll beat the hour. So help me!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    Otherwise another bludey brilliant evening on the moor. The JB may be my favourite race.
    And next year I'll beat the hour. So help me!
    Thanks GD, glad you had a good evening.

The section from the ruined building (check 4) to the finish is one of the all time great run ins in fell running for me. So much possible route choice. I never ever take quite the same route year on year.

Best of luck getting the time down, but you may need some help on the fastest lines. (What were you doing in a/the quarry?!)
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Results now up: http://www.jackbloor.co.uk/component...0-2009-results

Somehow my time seems a lot slower than I remembered - did they start the clock early?

Are there any pictures from this anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Thanks GD, glad you had a good evening.

(What were you doing in a/the quarry?!)
    I spotted this lass just in front disappear round a knoll with the control in view. I thought she had a secret shortcut so took a chance. As soon as I came round the knoll I realised my mistake as I was floundering over heather covered boulders so had to slow right down. Stangely enough there was no sign of the lass. Are there, perchance, legends of the moor which tell of maidens who lure runners to certain death (or in my case losing a few seconds off their time)?

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    Great race this. Really enjoyed it again. The distance quoted seems to be just the joined up checkpoints ie crow flies distance. Did anyone garmin it? Out of interest.
    I mapped it on mapmyrun - although the elevation is a bit out I think.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/ilk...24228670699393

And what's the consensus on achieving the Trig Point control? It was really frustrating seeing people on the skyline lope effortlessly towards the trig on what must be a tarmac path whilst the rest of us were stumbling through the heather having taken the lower route from Cowper's Cross.
    And, same question as last year, did anyone garmin the course?
    You got yours in first.