Thread: Hypothermia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hypothermia

Just to put some context to the Fellsman Hypothermia situation.
    This was my 1st attempt and myself and my running buddy set off from Ingleton in Long Tights and Waterproof / Windproof Tops. It was sunny but cold and very windy when we all set off. There was a real mixture of clothing being worn from shorts and long sleeves tops to people in full protection. I think that perhaps some people under estimated the effects of the wind throughout the day and not just when the sun went down and the temperature dropped. As Jez Bragg said in his Grough interview, even he felt that he was putting in a lot more effort just to keep going against the wind. More effort equals tired sooner than you might normally anticipate, more calories required sooner than you might normally anticipate etc etc. We noticed several people putting jackets on the tops of summits, putting your jacket on when you are already cold is a bit like eating when you feel hungry or drinking when you are thirsty.... it's probably too late. I think that careful management of yourself is the key in an event such as this.

Re: Hypothermia

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    Just to put some context to the Fellsman Hypothermia situation.
    This was my 1st attempt and myself and my running buddy set off from Ingleton in Long Tights and Waterproof / Windproof Tops. It was sunny but cold and very windy when we all set off. There was a real mixture of clothing being worn from shorts and long sleeves tops to people in full protection. I think that perhaps some people under estimated the effects of the wind throughout the day and not just when the sun went down and the temperature dropped. As Jez Bragg said in his Grough interview, even he felt that he was putting in a lot more effort just to keep going against the wind. More effort equals tired sooner than you might normally anticipate, more calories required sooner than you might normally anticipate etc etc. We noticed several people putting jackets on the tops of summits, putting your jacket on when you are already cold is a bit like eating when you feel hungry or drinking when you are thirsty.... it's probably too late. I think that careful management of yourself is the key in an event such as this.
    Good points Steampig. All the same I think my major problem at the Fellsman was putting on too many layers (ironically), then building a up a sweat running which then cooled super fast when I hit 3 miles of tough ground and having to walk head on into that frigid wind. All the same I definitely used up miles more calories than maybe I was expecting which also led to some unexpected low blood sugar moments as well.