Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jura Race

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Jura 2011...

Andy - I'm going up early as usual but really sorry to hear this - I hope you manage to get something sorted out and I see you there.

Something else re ferries that not everyone might know - Port Ellen pier is out of use this year, it shouldn't affect too many people as most go direct to Port Askaig but if anyones planning a few days on Islay first it makes a difference - the good news is that as far as I can tell the Sunday morning ferry that normally leaves Port Ellen is now going from Port Askaig, so anyone wanting an early return on the Sunday will find it easier than getting up very early and riding like mad down the length of Islay.

Mark

For the state of fast rib crossings to Craighouse, please check the website www.jurafellrace.org.uk where you will always find the latest information I have. Some more was added this morning. Hope lots of people take advantage of this as the guys running the boats are very keen for them to be used.

Thanks for this GrahamA.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    The old Jura thread comes up with an old 2007 message saying that entries are now closed, which may mislead. This is not yet the case for the 2011 race, so here is a new thread to get going again. If you are interested, please keep an eye on the News and Notes page of the race website www.jurafellrace.org.uk. It will be updated early next week.

Jura 2012 dates poll

Can folk give me a straw poll on how the Jura dates would affect them next year? The race is normally held on the last Saturday in May, with the Monday as a public holiday in the UK. Most people have to be able to take the Friday off to travel to Jura, impossible for many teachers, and either travel back on Sunday or take an extended family holiday.

With the queen's jubilee in 2012, the public holiday is being put back to 4th June, and I expect most schools will put back their half term holidays to that week as well.

Please let us know if keeping the Jura on Saturday 26th May, 2012 will affect whether or not you can go.

Re: Jura 2012 dates poll

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    With the queen's jubilee in 2012, the public holiday is being put back to 4th June, and I expect most schools will put back their half term holidays to that week as well.

Please let us know if keeping the Jura on Saturday 26th May, 2012 will affect whether or not you can go.
    26th May best for me. Following weekend would clash with Duddon
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Bloody royalty! They buggered up this spring and now they are having a go at next year too!

Not having Jura attached to the half term would be a complete pain for me and a lot of others I suspect. Half term in Cumbria is 4th - 8th June in 2012.

To have the race any other day except 26th May would cause too much clashing and knock-on effects to many other races and organisations. We are sticking to the normal date of last Saturday in May, and apologies to those who like to stay on for a few days during half term, and, on this occasion, will not be able to. Thank you to everyone who has responded or helped in this decision. It would have taken a flood of very strong opposition to 26th to move the race back a week.

We're going to have to move the Duddon race anyway - neither the pub nor the campsite can cope with having the race and the bank holiday at the same time - so at the moment the weekend of the 2nd has no race. Graham, if you would like to use the bank holiday then please do! We'd be very pleased to move the Duddon up to the 26th. Our only other options are to swap with another June race - we're trying to work something out - or to postpone until later in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by wrross View Post
    We're going to have to move the Duddon race anyway - neither the pub nor the campsite can cope with having the race and the bank holiday at the same time - so at the moment the weekend of the 2nd has no race. Graham, if you would like to use the bank holiday then please do! We'd be very pleased to move the Duddon up to the 26th. Our only other options are to swap with another June race - we're trying to work something out - or to postpone until later in the summer.
    IS there much late August?

That end of May/start of June time is crazy with Old counties/Jura/Duddon/Ennerdale/Welsh 1000m all within 2-4 weeks of each other.

Out of all them I think its the W1000's which suffers, but now the route seems much better, maybe it'll get more of a following.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wrross View Post
    If Duddon is going to change dates for 2012 it would be nice if there was some coordination between race organisers, perhaps a straight swap as suggested by wrross. I imagine what most people would not want is for Duddon and Jura to be on the same weekend. Maybe swapping them around would make everyone happy?

I suspect there is a good reason there are not many races in August - loads of people are away on their hols. I really like having all the races in April/May, it is the only way I can get fit enough to get round Jura!
    Last edited by No map, no compass; 14-06-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: To add a bit extra