Page 131 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1311

Thread: mr b's comeback

  1. #1301
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    The train journey from Leuchars to Bedford involved changing at Edinburgh, Carlisle, Nottingham and Kettering.
    I was born in Flitwick when it was a sleepy village (and two of my uncles worked at Bedford shed for the LMS)

    Flitwick has changed a little.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  2. #1302
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I was born in Flitwick when it was a sleepy village (and two of my uncles worked at Bedford shed for the LMS)

    Flitwick has changed a little.
    Around the late 70's/early 80's I used to do the Henlow 10, which I think either went through or maybe finished in Flitwick. I managed to get under the hour on one occasion.

    I can't remember whether Flitwick was sleepy or not!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  3. #1303
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Around the late 70's/early 80's I used to do the Henlow 10, which I think either went through or maybe finished in Flitwick. I managed to get under the hour on one occasion.

    I can't remember whether Flitwick was sleepy or not!
    Not by then I think!

    Flitwick is 40 miles from London and on the fast 4 track railway you can get there in 38 minutes. It has therefore developed from the idyllic backwater of my birthplace to commuter central.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  4. #1304
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Around the late 70's/early 80's I used to do the Henlow 10, which I think either went through or maybe finished in Flitwick. I managed to get under the hour on one occasion.
    So you were based at RAF Chicksands?

    I was also living near an airfield. My father worked at what was then Cranfield Institute of Technology (previously RAF Cranfield, then Cranfield College of Aeronautics, and now Cranfield University).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  5. #1305
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So you were based at RAF Chicksands?

    I was also living near an airfield. My father worked at what was then Cranfield Institute of Technology (previously RAF Cranfield, then Cranfield College of Aeronautics, and now Cranfield University).
    No. Just used to visit RAF Henlow for the race.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  6. #1306
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    7,888
    4x 6mins at 6.45mmp off 3min rests on the track last night. First session for months without nails in my knee.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

  7. #1307
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    7,888
    I've pre entered the rougemont chase, there's a 50/50 chance I'll make it to the start. I need to try and get a speed endurance session going, so I reduced my 9m thruscross route to 6m as a start. My left lateral quad cramped up after about 4m which is exactly what I didn't want. Yorkshire water have begun deforesting thruscross reservoir and installed anpr charging systems in their car parks, presumably in the interests of their shareholders.

  8. #1308
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've pre entered the rougemont chase, there's a 50/50 chance I'll make it to the start. I need to try and get a speed endurance session going, so I reduced my 9m thruscross route to 6m as a start. My left lateral quad cramped up after about 4m which is exactly what I didn't want. Yorkshire water have begun deforesting thruscross reservoir and installed anpr charging systems in their car parks, presumably in the interests of their shareholders.
    Hope to see you there Luke, as I'll most likely do it - I've done it twice before and enjoyed it and the show. You even get a free beer at the end.
    Not Just Yorkshire Water who are blatantly profiteering from carparking. You now have to pay at Little Almscliffe and Norwood Bank!

  9. #1309
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Yorkshire water have begun deforesting thruscross reservoir and installed anpr charging systems in their car parks, presumably in the interests of their shareholders.
    And if you don't pay up, they will chuck raw sewage into the Wharfe.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  10. #1310
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    940
    Even if you pay they still throw sewage into the Wharfe!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •