Page 196 of 304 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 3034

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

On last Thursdays RATRun we came across a van parked adjacent to the footpath that went into Light Wood. There was a small pile of freshly cut logs behind it. As we ran into the woods we saw the beams of two headtorches coming towards us belonging to what looked like, a very sheepish, father and son whose arms were laden with more logs.
    I think its called foraging!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    7.85 miles, 3,586 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Wansfell Pike, including once down and once up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Sunshine, and clouds at multiple levels; a very strong cold blustery wind from the north west - crossing the small flat area at the top of the Pike was interesting. Terrain mainly dry. Not many about.

For the first time in ages I did some fartlek. I expect to be a bit sore tomorrow.

Master
    10.27 miles, 2,317 feet, 3 hours 16 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Loughrigg trails. Overcast, with the cloud base between 1,500 and 2,000 feet. Intermittent light drizzle. A gentle breeze at times. Terrain damp, not particularly slippery. Not many about.

I was not sore after yesterday's fairly gentle fartlek, so today I added in some drills: high knees, skipping, bum kicks, hopscotch, side to side, strides. It is almost 2 years since I last did these.

Master
    10.11 miles, 2,037 feet, 3 hours 4 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Waterhead steps - High Skelghyll - Hundreds Road - Wansfell Pike - Skelghyll Woods - Roman Ruins - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,500 feet. A cold not particularly strong wind from the west. Intermittent light drizzle. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. Very few about.

Drills and strides again - the flat grassy area around the ruins is ideal for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    On last Thursdays RATRun we came across a van parked adjacent to the footpath that went into Light Wood. There was a small pile of freshly cut logs behind it. As we ran into the woods we saw the beams of two headtorches coming towards us belonging to what looked like, a very sheepish, father and son whose arms were laden with more logs.
    I think its called foraging!
    There'll be more of that in the future, people are certainly going to go back to burning wood to keep warm. Luckily, because i get about all over the area a lot, i make mental notes of blown over trees and pay them a visit.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    8.19 miles, 2,879 feet, 2 hours 54 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Sunshine and clouds; intermittent showers of rain/graupel. The cloud base was at about 2,500 feet, with a patchy snow line a bit below that. A very cold wind from the west. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery - no ice at this level. Not many about.

No drills/strides/fartlek today.

Master
    6.65 miles, 1,464 feet, 1 hour 37 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Clappersgate - Brathay trails - Fishgarths Wood - Todd Crag - Old Golf Club - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,800 feet; no snow visible below this level; constant light to moderate rain, a strong cold blustery wind from the west. Terrain saturated and slippery. I was surprised to see so many walkers out and about - and there was one fellow runner.

Master
    8.67 miles, 3,002 feet, 3 hours 10 minutes: Wansfell Pike and around the Roman Ruins. Overcast, with the cloud base just catching the highest tops. A very strong wind from the west at all levels, particularly at the top of the Pike. Intermittent rain/graupel showers. The only white stuff I could see was at the very top of Fairfield. Terrain saturated and slippery. Not many about, but some were starting to ascend the Wansfell steps - I suspect they regretted it once higher up.

Strides and drills done after my warm up.

I've never seen these roman ruins, are they any good? Can we tick any boxes...ramparts/ditches, mosaic, hypercaust box-tile?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    8.55 miles, 2,476 feet, 2 hours 47 minutes: Loughrigg trails, taking in Fishgarths Wood, Todd and Ivy Crags, Loughrigg top, and the descent/ascent to/from the road at High Close. Overcast and misty - none of the tops visible. Virtually constant light rain/drizzle. Terrain saturated, icy in places above 500 feet - very slippery. A moderate wind from the west. I saw about 2 dozen walkers whilst I was out.
    Last edited by Mike T; 07-02-2022 at 03:27 PM.