Page 65 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    That's pretty hardcore Mike! Very well done. I couldn't manage those numbers on a none-run day let alone after 10 plus miles and 3000 plus feet of fellrunning!
    Thanks Mossdog - it helps that the resistance exercises are only every second day.

Master
    Press-ups - alternating unweighted with 5 kg weighted - sets to failure, set + rest = 4 minutes, 8 sets - unweighted were 22 - 15 - 13 - 12; weighted were 11 - 9 - 8 - 8.

20 squats or lunges in-between the sets.

EMOM - sets of 11 press-ups, floor to lock to floor. Time in secs remaining for each min.

40 - 40 - 41 - 41 - 42 - 41 - 37 - 30 - 23 - 15
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Chin-ups - alternating unweighted with 5 kg weighted - sets to failure, set + rest = 4 minutes, 8 sets - unweighted were 6 - 5 - 4 - 5; weighted were 3 - 2 - 2 - 2.

Squats and lunges before and in-between the sets.

EMOM - sets of 1 press-ups, floor to lock to floor (palms of the floor, at the end and beginning of rep). Time in secs remaining for each min.

44 - 44 - 44 - 45 - 44
    44 - 34 - 43 - 42- 42
    39 - 36 - 32 - 31 - 26

150 press-ups. Palms off the floor make these so much slower for me, and harder. Last year I managed 23 reps of x10 press-up, I've fallen behind and I'm blaming the palms ( )

Also, 11 reps of EMOM are significantly harder than the mere 10% extra you'd expect.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Press-ups - alternating unweighted with 5 kg weighted - sets to failure, set + rest = 4 minutes, 8 sets - unweighted were 22 - 16 - 14 - 13; weighted were 11 - 9 - 8 - 8.

20 squats or lunges in-between some of the sets.

Dumbbell bicep curls. 2 X 12.5 kg. Simultaneous lifting with both arms.Eccentric lowering. 2 mins break between sets, during which I did (x10) reps of floor to lock to floor press-ups. Curl Reps were to failure, per set.

24 (10) - 17 (10) - 15 (10) - 11 (10) - 11 (10) - 10 (10) - 10 (10) - 10 (10)
    Am Yisrael Chai

A few months ago i effectively stopped all gym strength work, and replaced with "conditioning" which was basically a lot of rowing and XC skiiing in the gym.

I felt this has had an overall decent effect, particularly with recovery, but feel that some of strength has gone downhill in both upper body and legs.... particularly noticeable in how much i suffered after the downhill stresses of the Jubilee Plunge on new year's eve.

So since than i have reverted to something in between....

I have removed the rowing, which i didn't feel was providing much benefit, but keeping the XC Skiing which is having great benefits on my core strength.

Have put the squats/leg press work back into my routine, and am now alternating push/pull upper body routines each session....

Push being generally chest and shoulder press work. Pull being back horizontal and vertical pulls.

I'm not doing any specific arm work, as i feel with my regular training i'm getting enough associated work with my push/pull/skiing to keep my arms sufficiently strong.

It is overall harder work at the gym between my club sessions, and the leg work in particular makes recovery a little more difficult... but i've got lofty ambitions this year so got to knuckle down with it, and keep the eating/stretching/resting all in good shape as well.
    Last edited by Travs; 20-01-2024 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A few months ago i effectively stopped all gym strength work, and replaced with "conditioning" which was basically a lot of rowing and XC skiiing in the gym.

I felt this has had an overall decent effect, particularly with recovery, but feel that some of strength has gone downhill in both upper body and legs.... particularly noticeable in how much i suffered after the downhill stresses of the Jubilee Plunge on new year's eve.

So since than i have reverted to something in between....

I have removed the rowing, which i didn't feel was providing much benefit, but keeping the XC Skiing which is having great benefits on my core strength.

Have put the squats/leg press work back into my routine, and am now alternating push/pull upper body routines each session....

Push being generally chest and shoulder press work. Pull being back horizontal and vertical pulls.

I'm not doing any specific arm work, as i feel with my regular training i'm getting enough associated work with my push/pull/skiing to keep my arms sufficiently strong.

It is overall harder work at the gym between my club sessions, and the leg work in particular makes recovery a little more difficult... but i've got lofty ambitions this year so got to knuckle down with it, and keep the eating/stretching/resting all in good shape as well.
    Sounds like a great plan Travs. I've done quite a bit of XC skiing in Norway, in the past, and without question it's my favourite form of exercise. I'd very appreciate an indoor XC Skiing option, but would have some convincing to get my partner to agree to another piece of fitness equipment at home!

As I know my body wouldn't happily be able to endure the weekly running mileages of the likes of you and Mike at this stage, I'm still a keen advocate of the erg rower, and average 30 km a week which, for me, supplements my running quite nicely. I do however tend to employ it in more of a resistance mode, choosing the upper settings on the flywheel. Usually 2k at setting 8, 2k at 9, 2k at 10, 2k at 9 and finish at 2k at 8 again.

As you say, pushing (press-ups) and also pulling (erg not chin-ups ) seems to work quite well.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Sounds like a great plan Travs. I've done quite a bit of XC skiing in Norway, in the past, and without question it's my favourite form of exercise. I'd very appreciate an indoor XC Skiing option, but would have some convincing to get my partner to agree to another piece of fitness equipment at home!

As I know my body wouldn't happily be able to endure the weekly running mileages of the likes of you and Mike at this stage, I'm still a keen advocate of the erg rower, and average 30 km a week which, for me, supplements my running quite nicely. I do however tend to employ it in more of a resistance mode, choosing the upper settings on the flywheel. Usually 2k at setting 8, 2k at 9, 2k at 10, 2k at 9 and finish at 2k at 8 again.

As you say, pushing (press-ups) and also pulling (erg not chin-ups ) seems to work quite well.
    Am Yisrael Chai