Page 72 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Your wrist position is a lot better with a bar, and your core never relaxes because you never touch the deck.
    When you refer to bar press ups Mr B, is it one bar that you use at 90 degrees to your body or two bars, ie dumb bells, one either side?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

EMOM - sets of 10 press-ups, floor to lock to floor. Time in secs remaining for each min.

45 - 44 - 45 - 45 - 44 - 42 - 44 - 40 - 39 - 39

This morning's dead hang I tried something a bit different. 1 min 35 secs dead hang followed by a minute break then x10 30 secs dead hangs with 1 min rest between each.

Might try this again, as although you still end up with that incapacitating 'Chinese burn' effect on your fingers afterwards, it obviously doesn't last for so longer, and I hope the cumulative effect will be to improve my grip.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Chin-ups, EMOM for 30 minutes: 5 triples, 5 doubles, the rest singles. So 45 in total. Unweighted.

Chin-ups EMOM

3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3

3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2

2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2

2 - 1 3/4 - 1 3/4 - 1 1/2 - 2

1 (1/2)

I think I much prefer these as set then 1 min rest, as I feel less time pressure and so can hold isometrically at the top and lower slowly for an eccentric challenge.

While completing these I wondered how they compared with dumbbell curls. They do avoid the need to focus intently on maintaining a steadier posture and so avoid back issues that the dumbbells present. Also, fewer reps so failure is reached quicker.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Chin-ups EMOM

3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3

3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2

2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2

2 - 1 3/4 - 1 3/4 - 1 1/2 - 2

1 (1/2)

I think I much prefer these as set then 1 min rest, as I feel less time pressure and so can hold isometrically at the top and lower slowly for an eccentric challenge.

While completing these I wondered how they compared with dumbbell curls. They do avoid the need to focus intently on maintaining a steadier posture and so avoid back issues that the dumbbells present. Also, fewer reps so failure is reached quicker.
    Well done.

The number of curls of course well and truly exceeds the magically beneficial 8-12 reps, whereas the number of chin-ups gets nowhere near it. I suspect the chin-ups are more beneficial.

Master
    Press-ups, using a bar rather than chest to floor: EMOM for 16 minutes, 10 per set.

This wrist position does seem to be becoming more comfortable, not that I find hands on the floor uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Press-ups, using a bar rather than chest to floor: EMOM for 16 minutes, 10 per set.

This wrist position does seem to be becoming more comfortable, not that I find hands on the floor uncomfortable.
    160!!! Crikey. Way-to-Go Mike.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Chin-ups, EMOM for 40 minutes: 5 triples, 7 doubles, the rest singles. So 57 in total. Unweighted.

With a view to "hanging" without having to curl my legs up underneath me, I tried raising my bar on 4 stools, but there just isn't the space needed - by a few inches.

EMOM - 15x sets of 10 press-ups, floor to lock to floor. Time in secs remaining for each min.

45 - 45 - 45 - 45 - 45 - 44 - 42 - 42 - 40 - 42

40 - 39 - 39 - 30 - 30
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Chin-ups, EMOM for 40 minutes: 5 triples, 7 doubles, the rest singles. So 57 in total. Unweighted.

With a view to "hanging" without having to curl my legs up underneath me, I tried raising my bar on 4 stools, but there just isn't the space needed - by a few inches.
    I have that trouble too. It may be wishful thinking, but I have a hunch that a straight dead hang without having to tense the leg muscles, in order to keep one's feet off the floor, might be easier.

Today's dead hang was 1 mins and 37 secs, without gloves. I'm not getting better and i wonder if there is any real scope either for my grip to improve, or me to 'man-up' and resist more effectively the intense burning in my fingers

That's a massive number of chin-ups and I can only dream of reaching those numbers. I've still got elbow ache from the last session. Golfer's elbow? Probably to do with wrist form.
    Last edited by Mossdog; 22-02-2024 at 08:15 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai