Page 73 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I have that trouble too. It may be wishful thinking, but I have a hunch that a straight dead hang without having to tense the leg muscles, in order to keep one's feet off the floor, might be easier.

Today's dead hang was 1 mins and 37 secs, without gloves. I'm not getting better and i wonder if there is any real scope either for my grip to improve, or me to 'man-up' and resist more effectively the intense burning in my fingers

That's a massive number of chin-ups and I can only dream of reaching those numbers. I've still got elbow ache from the last session. Golfer's elbow? Probably to do with wrist form.
    I suspect the discomfort in your fingers is due to pain receptors telling you they have had enough rather than weak grip. Any chance of using more cushioned gloves?

Master
    Press-ups, using a bar rather than chest to floor: EMOM for 26 minutes, 10 per set. So 260 in total.

This must be muscle learning and coordination, rather than hypertrophy/strength.

EMOM - 10x sets of 11 press-ups, floor to lock to floor. Time in secs remaining for each min.

44 - 43 - 43 - 42 - 42 - 39 - 39 - 33 - 33 - 29.

Dead hang 1 min 39 sec - gloves.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Press-ups, using a bar rather than chest to floor: EMOM for 26 minutes, 10 per set. So 260 in total.

This must be muscle learning and coordination, rather than hypertrophy/strength.
    !!! Dedication - goodness! Very impressive. How do you place the bar?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    !!! Dedication - goodness! Very impressive. How do you place the bar?
    From 98 to 160 to 260 in eight days. I find it hard to believe.

I use a 3 kg weighted bar at right angles to my body - each end is resting on a thick book and a knee pad so that where I place my hands is several inches off the floor. I go down until the lower part of my chest is roughly level with the bar.

Master
    Chin-ups, EMOM for 43 minutes: 5 triples, 7 doubles, the rest singles. So 60 in total. Unweighted.

Dumbbell bicep curls. 2 X 12.5 kg. Simultaneous lifting with both arms.Eccentric lowering. 2 mins break between sets, during which I did (x10) reps of floor to lock to floor press-ups. Curl Reps were to failure, per set.

24 (10) - 19 (10) - 15 (10) - 13 (10) - 13 (10) - 13 (10) - 12 (10) - 12 (10)
    Am Yisrael Chai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XQr6QFPJgk

Interesting points here. I have wondered about this too. That is, the lack of eccentric tension on my EMOM press-ups because of the need to get the 10/11/12 or whatever no. of press-ups out within the minute and also allow enough(max) recovery time for the following set.

It's the key reason (not allowing eccentric time) why I don't use EMOM for bicep curls, and only time the periods between sets instead. Also, I'm very hesitant at rushing this reps as I know it will affect my form and possibly lead to injury, etc.

Any thoughts?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XQr6QFPJgk

Interesting points here. I have wondered about this too. That is, the lack of eccentric tension on my EMOM press-ups because of the need to get the 10/11/12 or whatever no. of press-ups out within the minute and also allow enough(max) recovery time for the following set.

It's the key reason (not allowing eccentric time) why I don't use EMOM for bicep curls, and only time the periods between sets instead. Also, I'm very hesitant at rushing this reps as I know it will affect my form and possibly lead to injury, etc.

Any thoughts?
    He does stress towards the end of the video that eccentric lowering is not of much benefit if the task is too easy - for example press-ups, if you can do say 30. So if you are doing only 10, then eccentric lowering is even more pointless.

There must be a study somewhere comparing eccentric and non eccentric lowering of the same exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    He does stress towards the end of the video that eccentric lowering is not of much benefit if the task is too easy - for example press-ups, if you can do say 30. So if you are doing only 10, then eccentric lowering is even more pointless.

There must be a study somewhere comparing eccentric and non eccentric lowering of the same exercise.
    Yes, I think that's correct Mike. I'm going to have a go at churning out as many press-ups, but with each having a, say, 3 second, eccentric element, to failure, and then timing the rest (2 mins?) before going again.But not today!
    Am Yisrael Chai