Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Back Race 2021

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I've been dot watching today following an old friend from Llanidloes, Lenny Hughes.

I'm new to this dot watching and would like a couple of things, which are probably obvious but I can't work out, explained.

Firstly the time in the top right corner. I am assuming that the clock started at midnight but the majority of runners have taken around 12 to 13 hours to get to Ogwen! Am I right in thinking they actually started at a more sociable time this morning?

Secondly the "live" feed in the bottom left sees runners going through the arch in in both directions. Again I assume it is a checkpoint presumably at Ogwen due to the tarmac.
    The time is just the time of day, not related to start times. I think they started at 0700, so the leaders were done in about 7h30m.

The feed is now the finish, but yeah, I guess it was Ogwen earlier.

A couple of big names (Kim Collison and Marcus Scotney) dropped already.
    Geoff Clarke

Regards the extra day and possible routes, it isn't so much about the ideal route and finish as having a suitable venue for a finish.Logistics.
    At the finish there may be up to 400 runners (in a good year), 100+ helpers and family friends to cheer them in. Need to have a venue to give them a buffet, bar, prize giving, showers, toilets, overnight camping and parking. Plus nearby public transport to get some away in the morning.

The area around carreg cennan castle (llandeilo) has little, last 2 races used a disused secondary school - pretty scabby and wouldn't be surprised if it was bulldozed soon for redevelopment. Few years back I spent 2 days searching the large surrounding area for them and came up with nothing. So they have to go east and add another day. Black mountains would be great last day, but you still have to end somewhere (schools are the only likely big enough places) and gain usage out of term time?
    So Cardiff it is, and yes it is a better finish for sponsors with a history and backdrop. It is removed from the original, but doesn't seem to deter entrants who will mostly have no idea of that historic first race.

Plenty of the dnf runners are still out there every day doing 1/2 course, so not wasted. I hope to visit water point tomorrow and cheer the ba ba on when he comes through. Sure he will have some stories to tell when he arrives back.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    ba-ba still going well (6th, I think), although he may be having trouble fighting his way through all the "Technical Safety" and "Media Team" people crowding along Crib Goch.

Edit: I think he is 8th. I have just noticed that there are two leaders way out ahead, already down from Snowdon.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 06-09-2021 at 03:17 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    ba-ba still going well (6th, I think), although he may be having trouble fighting his way through all the "Technical Safety" and "Media Team" people crowding along Crib Goch.

Edit: I think he is 8th. I have just noticed that there are two leaders way out ahead, already down from Snowdon.
    I picked him up on Crib Goch - surrounded by media teams, had to chuckle and hope he was smiling for the cameras. Though the opposite look is what they really want!

The ba-ba doing well, lying 4th at end of day1. A few names missing from the leaderboard - looks like Scotney is out for one? Might have been a hot day up there?

If I'm reading the results correctly it appears that of the 90 that have either retired or been timed out only one, Steve Birkinshaw, made it beyond Crib Goch.

I reckon Moley will be spot on re the heat.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

The first year of the new Dragons Back 2012, was a very hot first day and it was carnage even by Ogwen, a lot of runners setting off with little water bottles not appreciating there was nowhere to fill up on the tops.
    No excuse for that now but even so heat will have been a factor. Set off too fast and all keen to race on first day, pay the price later. Wouldn't expect that from top runners though.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    The first year of the new Dragons Back 2012, was a very hot first day and it was carnage even by Ogwen, a lot of runners setting off with little water bottles not appreciating there was nowhere to fill up on the tops.
    No excuse for that now but even so heat will have been a factor. Set off too fast and all keen to race on first day, pay the price later. Wouldn't expect that from top runners though.
    My understanding now is that for the Dragon's Back, entries are no longer vetted... you just sign a disclaimer to say you're experienced on the fells and understand this isn't just another "ultra".

That, the apparent upscaling of the event capacity, and the huge media profile it has.... it's hardly surprising that so many ill-prepared people turn up.

That said, it's still a fantastic race and route.

I obviously put the kiss of death on him, now down as dnf. No idea but he will most likely be in the pub later......

Hoping it is an electronic glitch maybe, no tracking last section and mobile signal not good. Others down as dnf that we saw going fine just 5k from finish.
    Last edited by molehill; 09-09-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Ba ba is looking fine and relaxed. Bentley looked on a mission with quite a bit of road ahead of him!