Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2022-23

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Warwickshire County Champs today.

A new venue and a very interesting course. Part frozen solid, part very slippy mud and field. First half mile of each lap was incredibly hilly for an XC course, and the rest of the lap was along the side of ploughed fields where it was very tough to get any decent grip.

Didn't have my best run, but managed 40:19 for a tough 10km (although i didn't run with my GPS watch today, but i reckon it was a good 400mtr short at least).

Rather unexpectedly picked up a bronze in the Masters Team medals. Unexpected as our top Masters guy ran for the seniors, and another regular Masters counter was missing.

The gamble from the management paid off as we picked up the gold in the seniors team (and the women's seniors team).

Good day for the club, but must confess i'm rather relieved to have a couple of weeks off racing now to concentrate on training.

Well done on the bling Travs.

Our, Derbyshire XC champs, are on the 7th Jan at Markeaton Park. They are a joint event with Notts and the venue changes every other year with Woolaton Park. Both nice courses but parking is a nightmare!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thank you Llani.

Yes ours was shared with Worcestershire... which makes things very difficult with knowing where you actually are in the race... with two county champs, and U20/Senior/Masters all together.

I think i came over the line somewhere in the 80's, but was actually 16th Warwickshire Master.

I usually park on the roads outside Woolaton Park and never had any issues, even for the National XC.

[QUOTE=Travs;681347]

Yes ours was shared with Worcestershire... which makes things very difficult with knowing where you actually are in the race... with two county champs, and U20/Senior/Masters all together.

Yes, it can be difficult to know who you are racing against but to help, one of the counties has to wear their number on their back!

Today was this seasons 3rd Booths Decorators League XC in Ilkeston, on the site of the old American Adventure Park. I think that 10 local running clubs compete. Some decent runners at the sharp end. The surface was mainly frosty grass with a few icy rutted sections.

Two laps totalling just under 5 miles in distance which was a bit short for me as I had only got comfy by the end of mile 3. Anyway, I was happy with 62nd place in 33 min 14 sec.

Silver medal for Emile Cairess(Leeds City) at the european champs today. Really good race... Ingerbritsen proved too strong in the end, but really pleased he got a medal. Can't see past him for the National XC in February.

I received an e-mail yesterday informing me that Derby City Council have declared that Markeaton Park was not now available for the Derbys/Notts XC champs, due to take place this Saturday, because of "the state of the ground".

I suspect that the decision was taken by someone who is not a runner and more interested in not having a muddy groove around their public park than the health benefits that exercise can provide. Ironically, this week Derbyshire has been chosen as a trial area for GP's to prescribe outdoor exercise for their patients.

The park cannot be in that much of a "state" as it is still open to the public.

However Notts AAA's and Notts AC have come to the rescue and the event will now be held at Bulwell Hall Park, Nottingham. An extra 10 mile each way on my journey so no big deal but I have no idea of what the course will have in store.

Derby 0 Nottingham 1 (own goal)!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 06-01-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I received an e-mail yesterday informing me that Derby City Council have declared that Markeaton Park was not now available for the Derbys/Notts XC champs, due to take place this Saturday, because of "the state of the ground".

I suspect that the decision was taken by someone who is not a runner and more interested in not having a muddy groove around their public park than the health benefits that exercise can provide. Ironically, this week Derbyshire has been chosen as a trial area for GP's to prescribe outdoor exercise for their patients.

The park cannot be in that much of a "state" as it is still open to the public.

However Notts AAA's and Notts AC have come to the rescue and the event will now be held at Bulwell Hall Park, Nottingham. An extra 10 mile each way on my journey so no big deal but I have no idea of what the course will have in store.

Derby 0 Nottingham 1 (own goal)!
    Whilst it pains me to say it, as I come from the west side of the M1 rather than the east, that is some achievement from Notts AAA's and Notts AC to find a venue for the champs at short notice, so well done to them.

Hope it goes well for you

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    There's a few problems looming for XC and I hope it doesn't spill over on to the fells and other athletics events.

Both the Northern XC and National XC Champs have had to find new venues for 2023 after issues at the original venue.

I believe both were down to support received to re-wild sections of the land the races were to be on so they had to cancel.

I've also seen one Local Authority cancel a long-standing non-athletics annual event with no plans to bring it back, because they have ambitions to be carbon-neutral and the event and the 1'000s of visitors it attracts from around the country are not in keeping with those ambitions.

Pretty soon, we'll not be allowed to attend an event unless we can walk to it :/
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

I've also seen one Local Authority cancel a long-standing non-athletics annual event with no plans to bring it back, because they have ambitions to be carbon-neutral and the event and the 1'000s of visitors it attracts from around the country are not in keeping with those ambitions.

Pretty soon, we'll not be allowed to attend an event unless we can walk to it :/
    Apart from wallowing in self righteous, holier than thou sanctity and enjoying the misery inflicted by abusing their petty power over people trying to live a simple life whilst going about their every day business: what is the benefit to a local authority in becoming carbon-neutral?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".