Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medals in trail races

I've never taken a medal.

I don't think they are exclusively to trail races. I've been offered some at road races as I passed through the line.

I think they tend to come from either professional race organisers or charity events.

T Shirts I see differently. They are partly a promotion for the race. We always handed out a free Ribble Valley 10K shirt and I've seen them on folk overseas. They were usually included in the entry fee although I sometimes bought shirts, such as at the Three Peaks if they were decent quality.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    That reminded me I must have some of those so I dug them out and also found my Ennerdale certificates of Scarth Gap.

I remember my 1990 Ennerdale run when I was badly dehydrated and finished on my knees in 6.30 but had forgotten my next attempt in 2000 when, ten years older (55) and presumably a lot wiser, I finished in 5.09.

I hope I was pleased with the improvement at the time!
    I hope to see a similar improvement next time i do Ennerdale.

2018 was a bit of an ordeal and i ran from Green Gable to the finish with one shoe. Eventually finished in 7hrs15

Last year the race was cancelled the night before.

Would hope to be pushing close to a 2hrs improvement next time i manage to race it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A local running club is organising a race on Beacon Hill on my 65th birthday. It's actually a race that used to be organised by a professional outfit, and unfortunately they are keeping the entry fees at a similar level to professionally organised events. And on the race website, the list of what you get for your entry fee starts with "Epic medal" - oh, and water stations, on a 5-mile route. Nevertheless, I may still enter, if my wife isn't secretly organising something for my birthday (and we can always go for a nice meal at the nearby Bull's Head afterwards).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I do a full range of races and so get a few medals. I always pick a kid in the crowd and give it to them - generally make their day. I prefer memories, though I'm proud of my ToP Tshirts, Thanks Mr Carr.
    I wear my ToP shirts with pride. I was wearing one the other day in Morrisons. A chap in the queue asked, “is that a 10k round Pendle?”
    “Not quite, sit ye down my good man for a few minutes and I will explain…”
    Needless to say I recounted that year when it was a white out.
    It did make me think; my T-shirt started a conversation. I’d have looked a bit of a dick wearing a medal round Morrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    I wear my ToP shirts with pride. I was wearing one the other day in Morrisons. A chap in the queue asked, “is that a 10k round Pendle?”
    “Not quite, sit ye down my good man for a few minutes and I will explain…”
    Needless to say I recounted that year when it was a white out.
    It did make me think; my T-shirt started a conversation.
    Ha ha.

Some of my T-shirts are for being a category winner.

So if anyone asks me what I am wearing I don't need a few minutes to explain - more like ten words in that nonchalant, modest, surprised "This old thing? Oh I won it for coming first" way.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I did a trail Half Marathon around the Malham area on Saturday (yes it was bloody hot!) organised by an outfit called Due North.
    No T shirt or medal at the finish, but a range of local pies and a Timothy Taylor beer. Much more sensible!